An experienced team returns for head coach Paul Mendes in his second year at the helm of the Coupeville High School soccer program.
“We have an unusually large group of returnees and they are a hungry group,” Mendes said. “We also had a record number of players, 55, come out for the team.”
Mendes said the sport’s popularity has a downside, because only about 20 to 22 players will be retained on the varsity and junior varsity teams.
“We had to make some tough decisions about players and hopefully next season we will be able to have a C team,” he said.
Seniors returning to the team are Joshua Adams, Gary Manker, Ian Miranda and Jaren Tso, who all played extensive minutes last year.
Veteran juniors include Sam Beggren, Adam Curtin, Andre Martin, Tony Sherman, Geoff Wacker and Zeb Williams.
Mendes said junior Taylor Anthony, who played on the junior varsity team last season, has moved up to the varsity level.
“The leadership from the upperclassmen has been good and they have already set a tone for the season,” Mendes said. “We are way ahead on where we were last year and the players want to challenge for the top spot in the league.”
Last season, Mendes had to use a number of freshmen to fill positions on the varsity roster and Justin Adams, Travis Curtin, Jordan Lamb and Spencer Tack return as sophomores with a year of experience under their belts.
Freshman Mitch Stevenson has also been showing a lot of promise and is expected to find himself on the varsity roster as well.
Mendes said Cedarcrest and Archbishop Murphy are two of the top teams in the Cascade League this season, but he’s not worried about them.
“With the talent and experience we have here at Coupeville, I think we should be able to play with anybody,” Mendes said.
Coupeville opens the season Monday, March 10, on the road at Friday Harbor and has a return match with the Wolverines Wednesday, March 12, at Mickey Clark Field. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.
