William F. Weeks, Jr., 81, a former resident of Sheboygan, Wis., died April 30, 2003, after a long illness with Alzheimer’s disease.
Since April 1999, he lived in Oak Harbor, where he is survived by his brother, Alan L. Weeks, Sr., his sister-in-law, Ginny Weeks, his niece and her husband, Shelley Weeks Smith and Thomas W. Smith of Marysville, his nephew, Alan L. Weeks, Jr. of Newport Coast, Calif., and a great-niece and -nephew, Lauren Nicole Smith and Jesse T. Smith of Marysville. He was married to Dorothy Schroeder Weeks from October 18, 1947, until she died Oct. 1, 1996.
Bill was born in Sheboygan, Wis., Jan. 18, 1922, the eldest child of William F. and Clara (Winkler) Weeks. He graduated from Harvard University in 1947, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, with a master’s degree in architectural engineering. Upon graduation, Bill became a member of the architectural firm named after his uncle, W. C. Weeks, Inc., where he worked with his father, W.F. Weeks, Sr., and obtained architectural licenses in Wisconsin, Illinois and Michigan.
After his father’s death in 1955, Bill continued the firm for 40 years under the name of W.C.Weeks, Inc. Among his distinguished architectural accomplishments were the Plastics Engineering Company, (PLENCO) building in Sheboygan, Wis., and the prodigious remodeling and renovation project of the American Club in Kohler, Wis.
Bill was the last of the Four Weeks‚ architectural line — Arvin Weeks, W.C. Weeks, W.F. Weeks, Sr., and W.F. Weeks, Jr., — who from 1848 to 1995, left an indelible, professional imprint on the city of Sheboygan and surrounding areas. They were actively engaged in the design and construction of public, commercial, civic and industrial buildings of distinction, as well as numerous unique and beautiful homes. It is hoped that his great-niece, Lauren, who bears the same architectural talents as her ancestors, will carry the tradition forward.
William made several generous donations to children’s organizations and schools during the three years preceding his death. Among the recipients were the William and Dorothy Weeks Memorial Skate Park in Sheboygan; its sister project, North Whidbey Skate Park in Oak Harbor; and Above and Beyond Children’s Museum, which is housed in a landmark 1892 structure designed by the first of the Weeks’ four architects, Arvin Weeks.
Funeral services were held at Novak-Ramm-Ziegler Funeral Home in Sheboygan, Thursday, May 8, 2003, with the Rev. David Taylor of St. Paul’s UCC officiating. Burial took place at Wildwood Cemetery. Flowers are appreciated, or memorials may be made to Above and Beyond Child Care Center, 902 North 8th, Sheboygan, Wisconsin, 53081 or Oak Harbor Senior Center, 51 Jerome St., Oak Harbor.