Terrence Lamont: August 27, 1948 – January 19, 2024

Terrence “T.J.” Lamont passed away peacefully at his home with his wife by his side on January 19, 2024. He was 75 years old and will be greatly missed by many.

T.J. was born on August 27, 1948 in Coral Gables, FL. He grew up spending time in central Florida and Southern California. In the 1960s he met Patricia Miller at Eau Gallie High School in Florida. They began dating and, after high school, T.J. went to work at Cape Canaveral as a missile electrician on the Apollo program. In December 1968, T.J. and Pat were married.

In February 1969, TJ joined the U.S. Navy as a safety equipment mechanic, and in January 1970, he and Pat were sent to NAS Whidbey. He made two West Pac cruises in support of Vietnam working on the flightdeck of the USS Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier. Pat and T.J.’s intention was to return to Florida after his active-duty commitment, but the Pacific Northwest and its beauty grabbed them permanently. In March 1973, their son, Jason, was born and they bought land outside Oak Harbor in 1975 to start a small farm. Pat worked at Whidbey General Hospital while T.J. worked as a vehicle mechanic and then as an NAS Whidbey firefighter, while also maintaining his Naval Reserve status and volunteering as a firefighter with North Whidbey Fire & Rescue.

T.J. eventually became a part of the elite group of Navy personnel known as Mustangs, progressing through the enlisted ranks from Airman Apprentice to Senior Chief and then crossing over to the officer ranks. He eventually retired from the Navy as a Commander, after 40 years of military service.

As a volunteer firefighter he completed Emergency Medical Technician training and rose to the position of Captain at North Whidbey Fire and Rescue. After retiring with 26 years as a firefighter, he ran for and won election as a Fire Commissioner and served in that capacity for 18 years. He recently won re-election to another 4-year term but had to resign due to declining health.

In T.J.’s civilian life he worked as a heavy equipment mechanic, and a fuels inspector for NAS Whidbey and retired in 2008 as the Operations Officer.

For fun T.J. rode horses in Competitive Trail Riding; helped Pat on the farm; was a fantastic father and grandfather; worked on his classic Mustangs; crabbed, shrimped, and fished; ran his dog in agility competitions; and played pickleball.

He had a VERY full and enjoyable life and leaves behind his wife of 55 years, Pat, in Oak Harbor; his son, Jason, and daughter-in-law, Christine, in San Antonio; and two grandsons, Marshall and Carson. There will be a celebration of T.J.’s life on February 17th at 2:00 p.m. at Wallin Stucky Funeral Home.

A scholarship is being set up in the name of “Mustang T.J.” in memory of T.J. through the Oak Harbor Education Foundation. Donations can be made at www.ohedfoundation.org or by sending a check to OHEF, PO BOX 1801, Oak Harbor, WA 98277. Please make a note on any donation that it be contributed to “Mustang T.J.” or in the memory of T.J. Lamont. Thank you.

To share memories online please visit www.wallinfuneralhome.com