Florence S. Ivie, 92, 16-year resident of Oak Harbor, died at Whidbey General Hospital Dec. 1, 2002.
Mrs. Ivie was born in Mabton April 26,1910, to Frederick Schlien and Marie (Abraham) Schlien. She was raised in Mabton and graduated from Mabton High School in 1928. She graduated from Washington State Normal School in Ellensburg in 1930 and taught in Belma (near Mabton), Lower Naches, Castle Rock and Longview school districts. Florence returned to Central Washington State College where she received her BA degree in 1963. She taught first grade from 1931 until her retirement in 1972.
On June 12, 1939, she married Albert S. Ivie, Jr., in Mabton at her parents’ home. The couple lived in Bremerton, Cathlamet, Ryderwood, Castle Rock and Longview. Following her retirement, they moved to Hemet, Calif. Following her husband’s death in 1985, Florence moved to Oak Harbor to be near her son. She resided at Summer Hill and was its first resident, of which she was very proud.
Florence had a great love for her profession. She worked with kids all of her life and volunteered with first graders in Oak Harbor School District. She loved to square dance and round dance and enjoyed playing pinochle at Oak Harbor Senior Center, where she was an active member. She was also a member of the Eastern Star.
She is survived by her son, Donald S. Ivie of Oak Harbor; two sisters-in-law, Mildred Schlien of Yakima and Amney Burpee of Bellingham; five nieces, Carolyn Quantrille of Spokane, Nayda Littlefield of Moses Lake, Marlys Williams of Richland, Lois Donion of Tacoma and Ruth Hinch of El Paso; three nephews, Bruce Burpee of Deming, David Burpee of Springfield, Va., and Alvin Birkenstock of Tacoma. She was preceded in death by her husband, Albert S. Ivie, Jr., on Dec. 29, 1985, and by her two brothers, Chet and Fred Schlien.
In keeping with her wishes, no services will be held. Internment will be at Cowlitz View Memorial Gardens in Kelso. Memorials may be made to Northwest Kidney Foundation, P.O. Box 3305, Seattle WA 98114-9906. Arrangements by Burley Funeral Chapel.