Two baby goats killed in shed fire

When firefighters arrived on the scene, the shed where the goats lived was fully involved in flames.

Two goat kids were killed in a small barn fire on Crosby Road in Oak Harbor Wednesday night.

North Whidbey Fire and Rescue responded to the call just after 10 p.m. May 18. When firefighters arrived on the scene, joined by the Navy Fire Department, the small shed where the goats lived was fully involved in flames, North Whidbey Fire Chief Chris Swiger said.

Kierra Anderson, the woman who owns the property where the shed was located, said the fire started when a heat lamp meant to keep the baby goats warm broke. The young goats, which Anderson had gotten just two days before, did not make it out.

Anderson said she had decided to get the goats in honor of her late father, whose house she recently moved into.

“He loved having goats so I got some,” she wrote in a message to The News-Times.

Swiger said firefighters got the blaze under control within around 15 minutes. The shed, which Swiger estimated to be about a $1,000 value, was a total loss.

Anderson said all her tools and animal food which she kept in the shed were also destroyed.

The fire did not spread to the nearby house, which Swiger said was lucky given the strength of Wednesday’s winds.

“If it was burning the other way, it wouldn’t have been good,” he said.

Anderson said she plans to get new goats in the future.