Superior court trial rescheduled because of COVID exposure

A domestic assault trial was delayed after a defense attorney was exposed someone with COVID-19.

A domestic assault trial was continued and hearings for several other defendants were rescheduled after a defense attorney was exposed to someone with COVID-19.

Dennis Scott, an Anacortes attorney, appeared over the phone in Island County Superior Court last Monday and announced that he was in contact with another attorney who has COVID-19.

Scott said he was feeling “somewhat symptomatic.”

Scott admitted that his clients were not happy with having their cases delayed, but Judge Vickie Churchill agreed with him that there was no other choice.

One of Scott’s clients, Carl Nyberg, was scheduled to go to trial the next day on a count of assault in the third degree, a domestic violence crime.

Nyberg was accused of throwing a hairbrush and breaking his girlfriend’s nose in 2018, according to court documents.

Nyberg is being held in Island County Jail on $175,000 bail, which was set when he was late for a court hearing — after he failed to appear in court several times previously.

Churchill said it’s unfortunate that the case has lingered for two years already.

Several arrest warrants were issued for Nyberg during the last two years. Scott is the second attorney on the case

Churchill set the new trial for Dec. 8 as a placeholder as the date will likely change.

In all, Nyberg has three felony cases against him in Island County, as well as one in Skagit County involving the same alleged victim, according to court documents.

In 2018, police pulled Nyberg over in Oak Harbor and found a pipe bomb, an alleged homemade silencer, a semi-automatic AR-15 style weapon and a handgun in his car, according to court documents. He was charged with unlawful possession or control of an explosive device and unlawfully carrying a loaded pistol in a vehicle.

In addition to Nyberg, hearings on three other defendants were rescheduled because of the attorney’s COVID exposure.

More in News

Man sentenced for sexual assaulting woman last May

The 44-year-old Oak Harbor man was sentenced to 20 months in prison.

Whidbey Island man accused of dealing in child porn

A detective identified “at least 85” video files that meet the statutory description of child porn.

Island County Opportunity Council leadership transitions

Lisa Clark was the director of the Opportunity Council’s Island County office for more than 23 years.

Town ponder removal of World War II-era structure

The old concrete cistern hasn’t been utilized for 25 years.

Coupeville students on new schedule as of April 12

The new schedule allows for more in-person instruction.

Langley continues to be a passport hotspot

The National Passport Center has been directing people to Langley.

The Port of Coupeville is considering creating an industrial development district to levy a tax that could bring in millions of dollars to help it maintain its historic structures, like the century-old Coupeville Wharf, as well as expand into other areas of economic development. Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
Port considers tax that could raise up to $7.5 million

Port commissioners are considering creating an industrial development district.

Man, 29, killed in dirt bike accident

A 29-year-old Bellingham man died following a dirt bike accident in Clinton.

Most Read