Sex offender moves to Greenbank, sheriff’s office holding community meeting

A Level Two sex offender has moved to Greenbank and will be the subject of a community meeting this weekend.

Richard Dyer registered as a sex offender, as required by law, and reported his residence as a home on the 600 block of Pilchuck Drive, according to the Island County Sheriff’s Office.

Dyer, 68, is not wanted by police, according to the sheriff’s office. Dyer served 34 years in prison and completed a sex offender treatment plan in 2014.

The sheriff’s office agreed to host a community meeting at the request of several neighbors who were alerted by police flyers that Dyer was moving nearby. The neighbors asked the sheriff’s office to do more to alert the community, according to Detective Sgt. Laura Price.

“We agreed to do a meeting on a Level 2, which don’t normally do — we do them for Level Threes — but the community asked for it, so we’re going to do it,” Price said.

The meeting starts 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 12 at the Day Road Fire Station in Greenbank. The purpose of the meeting is to answer questions.

Price said that Level Two sex offenders are considered to be of “moderate” risk to re-offend, noting that Dyer lives with his wife and has health issues that limit his mobility.

Price, along with a supervisor for the Department of Corrections and on-duty South Whidbey deputies, are expected to attend.

In 1982, Dyer was convicted in Kitsap County on three counts of first-degree rape, one count of first-degree burglary and one count of unlawful imprisonment, according to the sheriff’s flyer.

In January 1980, Dyer gave a 22-year-old woman a ride, but instead of taking her where she wanted to go, he beat her, took her to his house, tied her up and sexually assaulted her over the course of several days, according to court records. Dyer required her to bathe and washed her clothing before letting the woman go.

He did the same thing to an 18-year-old woman in August of the same year, the sheriff’s flyer said. The woman was walking her dog when she was forced into a car and taken to Dyer’s home where he tied her up and sexually assaulted her. He forced her to bathe and again washed clothing before releasing her.

Two months later, in October, Dyer’s wife reported that she was held against her will and raped multiple times when she came to visit their 6-year-old son, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office. She’d been staying at a domestic violence shelter at the time.

According to official documents, in September 1981, Dyer’s ex-wife reported that she was sleeping in her bedroom and awoke to find him standing next to the bed. Dyer was not living at the residence and did not have permission to be there, the release said. She was restrained with duct tape and sexually assaulted.

“Afterwards he re-dressed the victim and put her in his vehicle where he drove for a period of time and stopped on a dirt road in a forested area,” the sheriff’s flyer said. “Dyer bound her ankles, left her in the vehicle, took a shovel and blanket and walked into the woods for a long period of time. When Dyer returned to the vehicle, the victim pleaded ‘don’t do this’ to which Dyer replied ‘done it before, and (he) could do it now.’”

The woman was driven back to the residence and sexually assaulted again before being unbound and allowed to shower.

He then paid his ex-wife $80 for child support and left.

Richard Dyer

Richard Dyer