Planners wants to extend moratorium on short-term rentals

The Coupeville Planning Commission wants more time to study the effects of short-term rentals.

Planning Director Owen Dennison asked the town council Tuesday for an additional six months on the moratorium on applications for “guest house” rentals.

The idea is to use the time to evaluate regulations and adapt to newer models, such as Airbnb and VRBO.

“The industry has changed around us and it’s time to catch up,” Owen told the council.

If adopted, the extension will last from December through June 2019, but Owen said it could be ended earlier if a viable work plan is completed.

Owen said staff needs more time to find concrete numbers regarding how many businesses are formally established and how many are operating under the radar.

He said browsing through short-term rental websites, it’s easy to see there are more establishments than there are permits to do that kind of activity.

“It’s easy enough to avoid compliance,” he said.

The moratorium, which the council adopted in July, doesn’t affect businesses and bed and breakfasts that are already operating.

Since then, no new applications for “transient rentals,” renting for 30 or fewer days, have been accepted.

Some council members expressed concern about the extension butting up against the busy tourist season and the possibility of another extension.

Owen said should the council decide new regulations are necessary, they could be completed within a reasonable time frame.

He also said moratorium extensions are more difficult to justify each time and more open to challenge.

A public hearing on the ordinance to extend the short-term vacation rental application moratorium will be held 6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 11.

More in News

15-year-old boy arrested in alleged wrench assault

A 15-year-old boy who brought a wrench to a fistfight is facing… Continue reading

Langley warns citizens not to drink water before boiling it

The city of Langley has detected E. coli bacteria in the water… Continue reading

Nyberg
Man sought on $75K warrant after skipping court

An Anacortes man is wanted on a $75,000 arrest warrant after failing… Continue reading

Clinton man accused of having images of child rape

A Clinton resident is accused of possessing images of children as young… Continue reading

Makeup bag heist uncovered | Island Scanner

Thursday, June 18 At 10:04 a.m., a caller on Alliance Avenue reported… Continue reading

List of North Whidbey CARES recipients released July 10 | Corrected

Right about now, the Oak Harbor CARES Act grant selection committee should… Continue reading

Oak Harbor staff works to clarify zoning code

Island County Superior Court ruled against Oak Harbor’s low-income housing development for… Continue reading

Volunteer burnout a problem for fire district, according to chief

Availability of firefighters has become a critical need for South Whidbey Fire/EMS… Continue reading

Contest invites kids to get crafty

Kids with a big imagination can now participate in a local art… Continue reading

Most Read