Meeting, permit required to hunt on base

People interested in hunting on NAS Whidbey are invited to attend meetings in August and September.

People interested in hunting on NAS Whidbey Island property during the 2023-2024 season are invited to attend one of two “one-stop-shop” meetings being held in August and September.

Meetings are scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. on Aug. 28 and Sept. 19 at Building 130, Gallery Golf Course. Information handouts will cover on-base hunting permit requirements, hunting areas and base access procedures. Hunters may register, pay the $17 permit fee and receive an installation hunting permit.

Hunting on NAS Whidbey Island property is limited to pheasant and upland game, waterfowl and archery-only deer hunting.

Civilian hunters may participate in the pheasant release and upland game program on the installation. In order to participate in these on-base hunting programs, all civilian hunters must submit to a criminal background check at the base prior to being issued an installation hunting permit.

To request access to hunt and get an NCIC background check, you must pick up the required form at the base’s Pass and ID office (Building 2853, or call 360-257-5620) just outside Langley Gate at Ault Field. Langley Gate is located on Langley Boulevard and is open from 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday –Friday.

Upon successful completion of the background check, you will be given documentation that you will need to bring with you when getting your installation hunting permit.

All hunters must have a Washington state hunting license in order to be issued a permit. There are no vendors of state licenses available on the installation. Hunters must present all licenses for the species they wish to hunt to acquire an installation hunting permit.

Specific documents required to get your installation hunting permit are:

Pheasant and upland game hunters must bring DoD-issued identification or state-issued identification and approved NCIC background check and a Western Washington pheasant license (with odd/even selection).

Waterfowl hunters must present your DoD-issued identification card, state small game license, state migratory bird validation and federal duck stamp (attached to license and signed across the face).

Deer hunters must present DoD-issued identification card, state big game license with archery-only deer option and transport tag.

Questions may be directed to John Phillips at 360-257-8873 at the installation Environmental Office.