Allen Fletcher

Allen Fletcher

Man who disappeared seven years ago still missing

Allen Fletcher was last seen on Nov. 19, 2013, at South Whidbey Harbor in Langley.

It’s an unsolved mystery that still baffles family members and police officers seven years later.

A Port Townsend man who was captaining a sailboat for two acquaintances has not been seen since the night of Nov. 19, 2013, when they stopped at the South Whidbey Harbor for the night.

Allen Fletcher’s family members, however, haven’t given up on him. They are hoping the recollection of this event will help jog somebody’s memory about that night.

Reports from investigators with the Langley Police Department, which were obtained by the South Whidbey Record, described the events that occurred on the day Fletcher went missing.

Fletcher, who was 30 years old, had just gotten his captain’s license from the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, according to his cousin, Melissa Adair.

Reports show that on the day he disappeared, Fletcher was helping a couple he met through a mutual friend sail on a trip that was supposed to take them from Edmonds to Bellingham. But it became stormy and they pulled into Langley for the night. The couple later told police they had asked Fletcher to leave their boat because he had become intoxicated while aboard.

A witness helped pull the boat into port and later claimed that the couple seemed afraid of Fletcher. Another witness, a homeowner near the marina, also remembered seeing someone who matched Fletcher’s description that night.

According to Langley Officer Charles Liggitt, who was investigating the incident at the time, there was no foul play detected.

The young man was last seen near the beach. Adair said Fletcher had made a phone call to a friend, frustrated about the unfortunate turn of events. According to the phone records, Liggitt confirmed this call was made. Fletcher’s last call of the night was to the owner of the boat.

The next day, the couple could not find Fletcher. The boat owner attempted to call his phone, but he did not answer. The couple were able to contact a friend to help captain the boat, and they sailed away to Bellingham.

There was a 10-day gap between when Fletcher went missing and when the Langley Police Department was notified.

“We didn’t take action about his absence right away, because he was one of those free spirit, hippie-wandering types,” Adair said.

She added that Fletcher was very close to his mother. A big indicator that something was wrong was when he did not take his flight home to see her that Thanksgiving.

“He would never in a million years leave his mother,” Adair said. “He was a mama’s boy.”

At the time, the police department had notified the harbor master, the Coast Guard and workers with the ferry system that the man was missing.

The report showed that just over two weeks after Fletcher’s disappearance, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s dive team recovered a dark blue coat matching the description of what Fletcher was wearing the night he disappeared.

Dave Marks, who was acting police chief of the Langley Police Department at the time of the incident, had told a Record reporter back in 2013 that the coat was found as if it was on a hanger. Since it wasn’t inside-out, the coat did not lead investigators at the time to believe Fletcher drowned while wearing it.

But no cell phone or body was ever found.

Liggitt said it is highly unusual to have a missing person case like this in Langley.

“It’s unknown where he would have gone to,” Liggitt said. “He wasn’t from the area.”

At the time of the investigation, Fletcher did not have any known mental illness or behavioral disorders, and Liggitt had said he was not suicidal.

The case remains open to this day.

Adair said that over the years, the family has come up with several theories about what may have happened to Fletcher, including kidnapping.

“We came up with so many crazy stories,” Adair said. “Maybe he found a ship to China or has amnesia and doesn’t know who he is.”

When her cousin first went missing, Adair recalls the whole extended family flocking to Langley to search for him. But their search didn’t yield any results, and neither has the investigative work family members have done over the years by trying to obtain dental or bank records.

It has been extremely difficult, even seven years later, for the family to come to terms with what may have happened that November night. Adair said the lack of closure has been hard to cope with. She is hoping somebody might remember something from that night that could help shine more light on the case.

Annette Kleiforth, Fletcher’s mother, said her son is not an aggressive person, despite what the couple may have said about him.

“He was looking forward to coming home and spending time with us,” she said.

Adair remembers her cousin as someone who really cared for other people. They were around the same age and grew up together.

“He was such a good guy,” she said. “I really loved him.”

More in News

Council looks to state rep for help with ferry woes

State Rep. Dave Paul was invited to a Langley city council meeting to speak about recent ferry cuts.

Service temporarily restored to Clinton-Mukilteo ferry route

Despite major slashes, the first weekend of an abridged ferry schedule saw some pleasant surprises.

Tides presentation set for Oct. 20

Phyllis Woolwine, president of Shearwater University, will deliver a presentation Oct. 20.

Vasquez speaks via Zoom during his clemency hearing.
Commutation reduces sentence in 1998 crime spree

Rogelio Vasquez’s extraordinary redemption story culminated when the governor signed a commutation.

Beluga last sighted near Whidbey

The beluga whale that first made an appearance in Puget Sound two weeks ago seems to have moved on.

Kurt Blankenship, left, and James Golder.
Hospital candidates talk staff retention, compensation

Candidates for the WhidbeyHealth board of commissioners talked about improving employee retention.

Boy accused of stomping phone following fight

The boy was charged in Island County Superior Court with malicious mischief in the third degree.

Real estate prices continue to climb on island

Despite a slight lull in August and September, it continues to be a seller’s market on Whidbey.

Clockwise from top left: Nancy Conard, Paul Rempa, Ward Sparacio, Morgan White.
Election will bring significant change to Coupeville School board

Four newcomers are vying for two open seats on Coupeville School Board.

Most Read