Langley considering toilet experiment at Seawall Park

The portable restrooms would be part of an experiment running from May through October.

The Village by the Sea is considering funding a pilot project that would place temporary restrooms by the sea.

Langley’s Parks and Open Spaces Commission has been researching the cost and location of porta-potties in Seawall Park.

At a city council meeting last week, Councilmember Peter Morton, the liaison for the commission, presented the group’s findings for the proposal.

The proposed experiment would run May through October and cost approximately $1,370. The restrooms would be located in a “secluded” location at the bottom of the stairs leading up to Boy and Dog Park.

Because of the chosen site, the city needs easement access agreements in order to service the restrooms.

A truck would drive down Anthes Avenue to Seawall Park, and then across a small strip of land to the city’s seaside property where the toilets would be located.

Mayor Tim Callison said the city would need to check with four to five property owners to sign easement agreements.

Most of the council was amenable towards moving forward with the project. Councilmember Dominique Emerson, however, expressed concerns about COVID-19 affecting the project and the overall aesthetics of the restrooms, as well as the priority of the project listed in the budget.

Morton assured her the restrooms would be in a discreet location. Money from the city’s general fund would finance the project.

Councilmember Thomas Gill said the toilets would be a good idea for people with limited mobility. Although the city currently has permanent public restrooms located on Anthes Avenue, the steps leading up from Seawall Park to First Street are numerous and can be tiring to climb.

Morton said he would report the council’s sentiments back to the Parks and Open Spaces Commission, which would make an official report about the pilot project.

More in News

The route of the Whidbey 1/2 will take runners down West Beach Road where they will be greeted by views of the Pacific Ocean and snow-capped mountains on Sunday, April 25. (Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times)
Runners to compete in Whidbey ½ next Sunday

Up to 600 runners will compete in the Whidbey ½ on Sunday, April 25, on the North End, and there are still spots available for those who want to join.

Foundation awards $60,000 in grants

Whidbey Community Foundation recently announced its next phase of funding from the… Continue reading

Charity for foster care holding auction

A nonprofit organization with a mission to meet the needs of foster… Continue reading

Brinkman
Community remembers longtime officer from South Whidbey

Mark Brinkman, 56, passed away unexpectedly Sunday night.

Four-year-old Tula Pierre-Louis and her brother, Iuri, play in the waves with mother Atty at West Beach in Deception Pass State Park. It’s the beginning of peak season for Washington’s most popular state park. (Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times)
Deception Pass State Park prepping for peak season

Park manager Jason Armstrong said the number of visitors last year was about 120 percent of what it had been in previous years at the most-visited state park in Washington.

Witness, shell casing tie murder to Central Whidbey

A law enforcement report on the murder of a 67-year-old Whidbey Island man whose body was found in Blaine suggests that he may have been shot near the Coupeville Ferry.

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
The Coupeville-Port Townsend route will stay on a one-boat schedule longer than initially planned because too many ferry workers are away from work after they contracted or were exposed to COVID-19. Reservations on the second boat through June 6 were canceled.
Coupeville ferry short crew; some reservations canceled

The ferry system should have a better idea in the next few weeks if the second boat will be delayed beyond June 6.

Hospital to sell Bayview property with odd history

The property has dropped significantly in value since its purchase 13 years ago.

Oak Harbor man charged for brandishing pellet gun

The 21-year-old man is facing a felony charge.

Most Read