A house fire in Admiral’s Cove just after midnight Wednesday dispalced three adults, but there were no injuries. Submitted by CWIFR Deputy Chief Charlie Smith.

A house fire in Admiral’s Cove just after midnight Wednesday dispalced three adults, but there were no injuries. Submitted by CWIFR Deputy Chief Charlie Smith.

House fire in Admiral’s Cove displaces family

No one was injured.

Though there were no injuries, a house fire in Admiral’s Cove displaced three adults early Wednesday morning.

One of the residents, Michael Geygan, said he suspects the fire was started by two battery chargers in the garage.

“I went out to the garage when I heard my garage door open in the middle of the night,” Geygan said. “I walked through the door and there was wire burning in front of my face, and flames licking up the wall.”

Geygan said he ran around the front of his garage to grab a hose, but the fire “was electrical so it didn’t do any good.”

He said he also tried to use a fire extinguisher, but it jammed.

Geygan and his wife, Catherine, and her son were able to safely make it out of the house. Their three cats were also saved.

Central Whidbey Island Fire and Rescue Chief Ed Hartin said the department received a call about a residential fire on Halsey Drive about 20 minutes past midnight Wednesday.

“The fire was fairly substantial,” Hartin said, adding that the roof collapsed shortly after crews arrived.

The fire appeared to start in the garage and made its way up into the attic of the house, Hartin said.

The first floor was also damaged, but both Geygan and Hartin said they thought some things on the lower floor and the basement may be salvageable. Investigators are working to determine the cause of the fire, according to Hartin.

The two-alarm fire drew crews from North Whidbey Fire and Rescue, Oak Harbor Fire Department and South Whidbey Fire/EMS.

Geygan, who has lived in Admiral’s Cove for about 25 years, said his family is staying at a hotel but is looking for either a hotel room or apartment on the ground floor because his wife has bad knees.

Neighbors have offered to help the family, which Geygan said is appreciated.

Geygan said he also wanted to thank the firefighters who responded to the blaze.

“They’re a good crew,” he said. “All the Whidbey fire departments showed up. I’d never seen fire work, considering the obstacles they had.

“Thank you to the fire departments for getting there when they did.”

More in News

Man accused of setting van on fire because of dog

The van’s owner said he owed the man thousands of dollars for a German shepherd and drugs.

Driver injured after car rolls on highway

The driver’s injuries were non-life-threatening.

South Whidbey water system tests positive for E. coli

Vistaire Water System customers should boil their water before drinking or otherwise using it.

Clinton dock in danger of floating away

A 20-by-30 foot float section of Clinton Beach Dock is in danger of floating away.

New stabilization center aims for January opening

Island County’s new facility will help people with mental health and substance use issues.

Incumbent and critic vie for commissioner seat

A veteran of county government known for being outspoken is facing a… Continue reading

Greene, Bacon differ on county priorities

In the race for District 1 Island County commissioner, voters have a… Continue reading

Candidate was party in lengthy lawsuit; filed for Chapter 13

County commissioner candidate Damian Greene’s financial and legal trouble is long and complicated.

Waterfront property owners could receive up to $5,000 in grants

The new grants are part of Island County’s efforts to guard against erosion.

Most Read