Garage fire sends two Oak Harbor residents to hospital

The fire chief said it was likely caused by an overheated electrical circuit on an extension cord.

Two Oak Harbor residents were transported to the hospital for treatment of possible smoke inhalation after a garage was destroyed by fire Monday evening, according to the Oak Harbor Fire Department.

Fire Chief Ray Merrill said the residents of the Southwest Waterside Court home were alerted to the fire in the attached garage by fire alarms in the house.

After seeing the flames, the residents closed the door to the garage and called 911, Merrill said.

The fire was reported at 6:09 p.m. Firefighters arrived eight minutes later to find the garage fully engulfed in flames, the fire department reported. The conflagration was controlled and extinguished by the crews from Oak Harbor Fire Department and the Navy Fire Department.

The garage was a total loss, but crews were largely able to stop the fire before it spread to the house.

“For the most part, the house was saved and the belongings in the house were saved,” Merrill said.

Along with the garage, three motorcycles were destroyed, Merrill said.

The chief said the fire was likely caused by an overheated electrical circuit on an extension cord.

Merrill said the residents’ action in closing the door to the garage was also important in preventing the fire from spreading. By the International Fire Code, doors between a garage and house must provide protection from fire.

“The garage-house door was closed during this fire and prevented the fire from spreading to the living quarters; reducing potential damage and protecting many of the family’s belongings,” the fire department said in a press release.

In addition, the fire department stressed the importance of fire alarms.

“Smoke is a poison that can kill you,” a fire department release states. “Without working smoke alarms, you may not wake up from the smoke. It can kill you while you are asleep. Home fires at night or when people are sleeping are the most dangerous. Working smoke alarms will alert you if there is a fire and will give you more time.”

Learn more about smoke alarms and where to place them in your home at www.usfa.fema.gov

More in News

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
Oak Harbor Garry Oak Society President Laura Renninger, seen here with group mascot Garry, said she hopes Oak Harbor residents appreciate the city’s unique namesake trees this year.
City’s mayor proclaims 2021 as ‘Year of the Oak’

Members of the Oak Harbor Garry Oak Society hope residents will take advantage of a few opportunities to celebrate the city’s namesake tree.

Federal judge rejects injunction request against Navy Growlers

The decision wasn’t a surprise, and it doesn’t directly affect the underlying lawsuits by the state Attorney General’s Office and COER.

Schools look for more diversity in hiring teachers

Despite 41.9 percent of the Oak Harbor student population identifying as an ethnicity other than white, only 7.9 percent of teachers identified as an ethnicity other than white.

Teachers starting to receive COVID-19 vaccines

Gov. Inslee made the group immediately eligible along with those already in Phase 1B1 of the state’s vaccination program.

Hospital renovation moving forward

The $22.5 million project is on on track despite the district’s “cash poor” status and the pandemic.

Coupeville Middle School students are returning to campus, but not for class

Students in grades 6-8 will return to campus on March 8 in the afternoons for two days a week.

Camano man accused of murder appears in court

The man was accused of shooting two people, killing one, at a Camano Island home on Feb. 28.

House passes ban on certain police use-of-force tactics

Chokeholds are prohibited, car are chases limited and military equipment is not allowed.

Most Read