Oak Harbor firefighters responded to a garage fire last week. Photo provided

Oak Harbor firefighters responded to a garage fire last week. Photo provided

Fire displaces family of six; blamed on space heater

No one was injured.

Over the last five days, a garage fire displaced a family of six and another fire scorched a car and the outside wall of an apartment building, according to the Oak Harbor Fire Department.

Nobody was injured in either fire.

Chief Ray Merrill said firefighters were dispatched to a garage fire on Northwest Mizzen Drive at 5:48 p.m. on Feb 5.

Merrill explained that a resident was doing computer work in the garage and went into the house to make supper. His mother happened to go into the garage and saw a small fire on a shelf next to a space heater.

The man tried to put it out with a small extinguisher, Merrill said. Because the blaze wasn’t completely extinguished, the resident ran back inside to get another extinguisher but found when he returned that the fire was too large to handle on his own.

Oak Harbor firefighters arrived within four minutes of the 911 call and put out the fire within 20 minutes, according to Merrill. They were assisted by crews from North Whidbey Fire and Navy Region Northwest Federal Fire Department.

The firefighters were able to keep the fire contained to the garage. Nonetheless, the property sustained $75,000-$100,000 in damages.

Merrill said the family likely won’t be able to move back in for four or five months.

Merrill said the family members closed the door between the garage and the house, which also helped to contain the fire. Under the International Fire Code, doors between a garage and house must provide protection from fire.

Investigators believe the fire originated with the portable heater, the chief said.

Then on Feb 7 at about 1 p.m., firefighters extinguished a fire outside an apartment building on Southeast Eighth Avenue.

Merrill said a resident had placed cardboard behind the building and someone threw a cigarette butt on top of it, causing it to start a fire.

The flames spread to a nearby vehicle and the outside of the apartment building.

More in News

The new Mukilteo terminal's east elevators (left near stairs) are now open. They're located just a few steps from the transit center. (Washington State Ferries)
Study examines Everett-Whidbey passenger ferry service

So far, no government is seriously considering such a service, which would cost millions of dollars.

Photo by WhidbeyHealth
U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen, with WhidbeyHealth Commissioner Grethe Cammermeyer and pharmacy director Dr. Tony Triplett discuss vaccine processes during Larsen’s visit last Friday.
Larsen talks vaccines at OH council

The federal government would be releasing 13.5 million doses this week, he said.

Previously convicted of vehicular assault, man charged with DUI

Prosecutors charged Brian Shelley, 50, in Island County Superior Court Feb. 17 with felony DUI.

Smokey
Smokey Bear gone but not forgotten

A cutout sign has been missing for six months.

Engle
Assessor picked as permanent planning director

Mary Engle has been credited with fixing problems in the department with her straight-forward, no-nonsense style and administrative abilities.

COER: New opinion of EA-18G impacts needed

Bob Wilbur, chairperson of COER, said the group will wait for the results of the consultations before deciding whether to file a lawsuit.

Vaccination rate will need a booster to meet goal set by state

Island County had received fewer vaccines, per capita, than most other counties while the county has a higher-than-average number of elderly people.

Photo by John Fisken
Senior Caden Leckelt during Oak Harbor vs. Ferndale varsity foodball game on Feb. 20. The Wildcats lost 41-7.
School sports back, but fans told to go online

All three school districts have been exploring streaming options for sports.

The ‘Angel de la Creatividad’ sculpture is currently bright red, but it is unknown whether it will stay that color if it is installed in Oak Harbor. Rendering provided
‘Angel’ sculpture mulled, others move forward

City council members voted to direct staff to explore accepting the 37-foot-tall gift.

Most Read