An interior fire in a Clinton home may have caused considerable damage to the house, but no injuries were reported.
Personnel from South Whidbey Fire/EMS and Central Whidbey Island Fire and Rescue responded to a blaze at about 2 p.m. this past Saturday on Humphrey Road.
The chimney was reportedly ignited after the homeowner started a fire in the home’s wood stove. It’s not known why, but a portion of the attic surrounding the chimney also burned.
Fire district Public Information Officer Jon Gabelein referred to attic fires as “hidden targets.”
When the responders first arrived at the scene, they were puzzled about the source of the conflagration, according to Gabelein. However, they were able to determine that the fire was confined to a very small area in the attic.
Responders cut a hole in the vaulted ceiling and, within 30 minutes, the fire was extinguished.
Gabelein credited the homeowner’s awareness and quick response, combined with the effort of the firefighters, in snuffing out the blaze early on.
The home sustained an estimated $40,000 worth of damage, including the interior floor, ceiling, insulation and repair of the chimney, according to Gabelein.
“It was just lucky that it was caught so quickly and contained to the attic,” he said.