New McDonald's

Demolition making way for bigger restaurant

The new McDonald’s is set to reopen in July.

Demolition of the Oak Harbor McDonald’s 45-year-old building began Monday to make way for a sleek, new space.

A sign in front of the building said it will reopen in July.

The new McDonald’s will be larger than the current square footage. The current building has roughly 3,600 square feet, and the new one will have 5,241, according to building plans on file at city hall.

Lindsay Rainey, a spokesperson for the restaurant chain, said the additional space will come from the indoor play area. The current building does have a play area, but it is not connected to the main building.

Seating will slightly decrease. The current building has approximately 102 seats, Rainey said, and the new building will have 98. There will also be self-order kiosks for customers to use.

There will be the same number of drive-through lanes, and parking will decrease by a couple of spaces, according to building plans.

Rainey said the new drive-through lanes will have digital menu boards.

Unlike the current building, there will be no basement in the new structure.

Plans to rebuild the Oak Harbor location have been in the works for 10 years and went through multiple revisions in order to meet city guidelines, Rainey said.

A large madrona tree will be removed to make way for the new building as is allowed by city code.

A local woman had hoped to save the tree, but it will need to go. There is no special protection for madronas in Oak Harbor city code, although Coupeville and Seattle have rules to protect the native tree.

“With regards to the tree, we are also saddened to lose such a special tree,” Rainey said in an email. “In an effort to preserve the tree, Barb (Johnson) had offered the neighboring business to take the tree should they desire for the community to continue enjoying.”

Oak Harbor resident Barbara Johnson has been the owner-operator of the local restaurant for 16 years. She was part of the original crew when it opened in 1976, and has since gone on to own 10 locations in the region.

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times An excavator demolishes the Oak Harbor McDonald’s on Feb. 17. The madrona tree on the left side will be taken down to make way for the new building, although one woman tried to save it.

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times An excavator demolishes the Oak Harbor McDonald’s on Feb. 17. The madrona tree on the left side will be taken down to make way for the new building, although one woman tried to save it.

More in News

North Whidbey man jailed for car insurance fraud

Arnold F. Bodner, 58, pleaded guilty in Island County Superior Court April 16 to a single count of insurance false claim, which was a felony charge because the amount of the claim exceeded $1,500.

VQ-1 ‘World Watcher’ gains new commander

Cmdr. David Van Kampen has assumed command of Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron… Continue reading

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
Junior Michael McKinney uses an arc welder to make a trailer hitch for a shed the class is making.
OHHS to expand skills classes with new building

The building may be used for engineering, manufacturing, automotive and construction classes that are in high demand.

Meeting set to interview three for assessor position

The Island County Republican Party Central Committee was tasked with nominating three people to replace Mary Engle, who resigned as the elected assessor earlier this year to become planning director.

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
The Coupeville-Port Townsend ferry route will stay on one-boat service until at least June 27.
Coupeville route down to one ferry through June 27

Another delay in two-boat service means Coupeville ferry riders will need to squeeze onto one boat until at least June 27.

Oak Harbor will have Fourth of July fireworks, parade

This year’s event will look slightly different to comply with safety guidelines.

Car crashes into building, boat during police chase

The car went through a building, struck a “Zodiac type boat” and came to rest against the far wall, the deputy’s report states.

District names interim superintendent

School board members unanimously voted for Karst Brandsma

Worker will begin wrapping the Deception Pass bridge this month as they try to complete the project by the end of the year. The parking lot on Whidbey Island next to the bridge will be closed until March. WSDOT photo
Deception Pass bridge parking lot closed until March

The closure is supposed to ease access for construction crews as they work on the bridge.

Most Read