COVID-19 outbreak being investigated at Regency

18 people have tested positive for coronavirus at a long-term care facility in Oak Harbor.

A total of 14 residents and four staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 at Regency on Whidbey, a long-term care facility in Oak Harbor, according to Island County Public Health.

Public Health Director Keith Higman said the first case was detected Nov. 9. He added that since then, the facility’s staff has had good control of who has been in the building.

Regency on Whidbey declined to comment at this time and referred the News-Times to its Facebook page.

In a Facebook post from Nov. 20, Executive Director Wilma Jo Flaherty wrote in a letter to the community that residents in the memory care building have tested positive for the virus.

“We are continuing to monitor residents in both memory care and assisted living each day,” Flaherty wrote in Regency on Whidbey’s Facebook post. “We have tested all our residents and staff in both buildings and will continue to do this until further notice.”

Visitors will continue to not be allowed and assisted living residents are encouraged to stay inside their homes.

As of Friday, Island County had 555 cases of the virus recorded. Over the weekend, Higman said 41 new cases were added to that total.

Virus case numbers have kept steadily climbing throughout the county, with the biggest notable increases happening in Oak Harbor, which some residents have referred to as “terrifying.”

“It should not be a surprise at all that Oak Harbor seems to experience a much higher increase in cases,” Higman said, pointing to the city as being Whidbey’s “population center.”

More communicable diseases, he added, are spread in urban areas rather than rural ones.

“We’re seeing the rate of disease and number of cases increasing pretty dramatically from where we were in August,” Higman said.

He said it was normal to see about two new cases per week in August, whereas now 20 new cases per day have become the new norm.

Besides Regency on Whidbey, the county health department is not investigating any other outbreaks. Of the new batch of cases that came in over the weekend, Higman said 10 were military service members or their family members.

No businesses are being investigated as the source of an outbreak, either. Higman pointed out that it’s likely the virus is being contracted through social gatherings.

“We have to presume that it’s contact people are having while they’re not at work or at businesses,” he said.

More in News

South Whidbey resident Doug Hansen displays a large American flag Wednesday that once flew over the White House during the Jimmy Carter Administration. Photo by Kira Erickson/Whidbey News-Times
A day of firsts

In recognition of Inauguration Day, Whidbey Island man displays flag once flown over White House.

‘Blood-curdling screaming’ | Island Scanner

Island Scanner Dec. 25 - Jan. 1.

Democrats in the Washington State House are proposing to pay for transportation improvements partly by raising the gas tax by 18 cents. (Sound Publishing file photo)
House Democrats lay out massive $26B transportation package funded by gas tax hike

An 18-cent gas tax increase and a fee on carbon emissions would fund new roads and more.

Training in Coupeville schools puts suicide prevention in the Forefront

Parents and caregivers can sign up for upcoming classes for training to help prevent suicide.

District dedicated to natural resources holding election

A governmental body dedicated to protecting dirt and natural resources has an election Feb. 2.

Town mayor updates residents with annual address

Coupeville Mayor Molly Hughes took a look back on the year.

Members of the Oak Harbor High School DECA team, a business club supported by levy dollars, clear brush during a recent community clean up. A school levy is on the Feb. 9 ballot. Photo provided
$48.4 million Oak Harbor school levy on Febuary ballot

Ballots for the Oak Harbor Public Schools levy have started arriving for the Feb. 9 vote.

Market Manager Peg Tennant takes some measurements at the site of the Oak Harbor Farmers Market in preparation for the season opening in May 2017. The market has permanently closed after struggling to attract vendors and customers. File photo/Whidbey News-Times
Oak Harbor Farmers Market closes after more than 20 years

A new group is already planning for a new market this spring at Windjammer Park.

Man arrested at Walmart in Oak Harbor with stolen truck

An Anacortes business owner reported the truck as stolen. It was found at the Oak Harbor Walmart.

Most Read