Coupeville awards $1.2 million bid for elementary expansion

Coupeville School District will be starting the last major project funded by its capital facilities levy in January.

The school board awarded P&L Construction out of Oak Harbor the winning bid for a multipurpose room expansion at Coupeville Elementary.

The multipurpose room expansion will include building 4,200 square feet off the side of the elementary school’s current gym/MPR building. It will include concessions and two new restrooms.

“We can have PE and lunch at the same time,” said Superintendent Jim Shank.

In addition, the expansion will be wheelchair accessible and the facilities and concessions will be available to patrons out at the football field and track.

Construction on the project will start in January and should be completed in August.

Shank said the district doesn’t anticipate construction impacting the remainder of the school year.

The $1.244 million bid was the lowest, but did come in $81,000 more than a 2014 cost estimate, Shank said. When passing its levy in 2015, the district built in contingency for instances like this.

The $81,000 is still within the district’s contingency limits, Shank said.

While this is the last major project the district has to complete, there are still a few smaller items such as replacing windows and fixing the sound and lighting in the Performing Arts Center.

If need be, the district will reevaluate those smaller projects to accommodate increased costs of the expansion. For example the district may look at repairing windows over replacing them.

Other projects already completed from the $5-million levy include replacing the track, replacing the middle school roof and building new bleachers at the football field.

“We’re pretty happy with how (all the other projects) turned out,” Shank said.

More in News

Commissioner rejects prosecutor’s request

Last week, Island County Commissioner Jill Johnson said she would vote against… Continue reading

Highway 20 clear after 2-vehicle traffic accident

Highway 20 has been cleared after a two-vehicle motor vehicle accident occurred… Continue reading

Hundreds of newspapers burn in car fire, delivery delayed

A car fire delayed the delivery of hundreds of copies of the… Continue reading

Man tracks down stolen bicycles

A little detective work by a Clinton resident led to the return… Continue reading

Oak Harbor hosts Kindergarten Orientation

Oak Harbor Public Schools is hosting its annual Kindergarten Orientation at 6… Continue reading

WhidbeyHealth EMS seeks levy extension

Tax supports 60 percent of operating budget

Former Island County corrections officer Mark Moffit cries as he apologizes to the family of Keaton Farris during sentencing at the Whatcom County Courthouse in Bellingham on Tuesday. Farris died of dehydration and malnutrition in the Island County Jail in 2015. Moffit and fellow former corrections officer David Lind were sentenced for forging their safety logs to make it seem like they’d been checking on Farris more often than they did. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Former jail guards sentenced in dehydration death of inmate

During a mental health crisis in 2015, Keaton Farris, 25, wasted away in the Island County Jail.

Crossing guard inducted into school safety patrol hall of fame

Logan Eash used to look out the window on his way to… Continue reading

Congrats, concerns over detox facility

Representatives from Island County were met with kudos, concerns and complaints during… Continue reading

Most Read