Art and nature are in many ways the perfect pairing.
Surrounded by the elements, the art plays off of the earth and the surrounding environment, creating an experience that’s impossible to recreate indoors.
And with its mild temperatures, Whidbey and Camano Islands offer the perfect backdrop to showcase the work of local artists no matter the season! Here are seven places to get out and enjoy some magnificent pieces in nature.
- Matzke Fine Art on Camano Island invites art lovers to enjoy and explore a collection of 150 works scattered throughout a 10-acre park. The exhibit acts as a gallery in the woods for emerging and well-known artists alike, creating magnificent pieces in mediums such as bronze, stainless steel, stone, wood and glass. Plat your visit at matzkefineart.com
- The Allgire Project features nine artists whose work spans 13 walls, creating a spectacular outdoor mural gallery. Located at 740 Pioneer Way, the exhibit sits conveniently in the heart of downtown Oak Harbor, making it easy to admire other sculptures along the way. Learn more at Allgireproject.com.
- Price Sculpture Forest is a newer exhibition, having opened in the fall of 2020 near Coupeville. At 16-acres large, the outdoor gallery has art hanging from trees and tucked behind foliage, encouraging revelers to take in their century-old forest surroundings. An excellent spectacle for kids, this exhibit encourages them to wander, explore their surroundings and truly immerse themselves in nature. Visit sculptureforest.org.
- Earth Sanctuary is a privately owned public nature retreat featuring sculptures across 72-acres near Freeland. As you wander the trails, take in an authentic Native American Medicine Wheel, a Labyrinth, stone circles and so much more! Visit Earthsanctuary.org
- Cloudstone Sculpture Park showcases the pristine and natural landscape of Whidbey Island. At more than 20 acres, the Freeland-area park is scattered with incredible carved stone, monumental steel, cast bronze and earthworks. At the moment, the park is only open to small groups. Learn more at CloudstoneFoundation.org
- Rob Schouten Gallery & Sculpture Garden features exhibits that draw you in and invite you to enjoy the work of 17 local artists. Offering a place of beauty, repose and respite from the endeavors of life, works are well spaced out, and can be enjoyed individually or collectively. Visit RobSchoutenGallery.com
- Meerkerk Gardens features nature as the artist. As you meander the peaceful woodland gardens near Greenbank, enjoy numerous rhododendrons and companion plants. Visit online at meerkerkgardens.org
With virtually endless exhibits to enjoy over hundreds of acres, this is the perfect time to get out and explore your own backyard!
To learn more, find lodging, shopping and plan more great activities, visit WhidbeyCamanoIslands.com.