As real estate professionals, the Windermere Whidbey team (based in Freeland and Langley) is often working to find the perfect homes for their clients, but they also know that building a strong community is just as important as building relationships with clients.
That’s why the team takes time each year to give back to Whidbey Island through various community service activities, including its 2023 Community Service Day spent at Good Cheer Food Bank and Donation Center in Bayview.
“For 13+ years we have partnered with Good Cheer for our annual Community Service Day and this year we were at it again with a group roughly 25 strong!” says Jennifer Cox, Designated Broker with Windermere Whidbey. “We were thrilled to once again contribute to the sustainability and success of our island’s local food sources.”
How Windermere Whidbey is making a difference
Committed to creating a hunger-free community on Whidbey Island, Good Cheer operates an accessible food bank, successful thrift stores, several community gardens and classes promoting good nutrition, offering numerous volunteer opportunities for locals who’d like to get involved in their community.
The Windermere team dug in to gardening, site maintenance, administration support and more – here’s a look at what was possible:
- Garden – Volunteers prepared eight garden beds for fall garlic planting, weeded and even got some planting in.
- Donation center – Volunteers sorted 201 boxes of donations – an entire shipping container! They also priced various items, with a special focus on getting Christmas items ready for the season.
- Food bank – Volunteers sorted 29 boxes of food donations, tackled cleaning and repacking projects, and aided in kitchen processing, including preparing 14 trays of prunes for dehydrating!
- Site maintenance – Volunteers weeded and replanted the perennial beds around the building and in the garden, enhancing the welcoming environment of the Good Cheer facilities.
- Administrative assistance – Volunteers assisted in data entry for 100 client surveys, contributing to essential behind-the-scenes work that keeps the organization running smoothly.
“We want to say a huge thank you to Windermere Real Estate for their continued support and for volunteering with Good Cheer for the last 13 years,” says the Good Cheer executive team, Karen Korbelik, Lissa Firor and Stephanie Turco.
Good Cheer always has projects and welcomes the help of , either as groups or individuals. To learn more about volunteer opportunities, email email@example.com or call
A tradition of giving back
Windermere’s partnership with Good Cheer is part of its long-standing commitment to contribute to Whidbey Island and help build a community worth living in.
“By sharing our time and efforts in these areas, we hope to make a meaningful impact and inspire others to do the same,” Cox says. “After all, it takes a village to create the kind of community where everyone thrives.”
Learn more about Windermere Whidbey at windermerewhidbey.com