South Whidbey High School grad swims from Hat Island to Whidbey

South Whidbey High School grad swims from Hat Island to Whidbey

Mary F. Bakeman completed the swim in one hour and four minutes.

There are many ways to pass the time during the pandemic — watching TV, baking bread, balancing working from home and engaging in distance learning come to mind.

One woman, however, decided to tackle a 2.5-mile swim from Hat Island to Whidbey Island.

“Especially during the pandemic, I wanted something to do,” said Mary F. Bakeman. “I’ve been staring at it my entire life.”

Bakeman grew up with a view of Hat Island from her parents’ home in Freeland.

The South Whidbey High School graduate said she started swimming this year. She ran track and cross country in high school and college and was having some issues with running recently, so she turned to swimming to get some exercise.

Plus, she said, the island was calling.

“I’ve always known that it was achievable because my dad did it, and our beach place stares out at Hat Island. I’ve been looking at it for 32 years,” she said.

It wasn’t easy, of course, and she started training for the swim in March.

Her freestyle swimming form wasn’t great at the beginning and she had trouble controlling her breathing.

“This wasn’t in my wheelhouse at all,” she said.

She turned to YouTube videos to fix her form, bought a trisuit (a piece of clothing popular with triathletes) and practiced in Meydenbauer Bay near her Bellevue home during the week.

On the weekends, she would come to Whidbey and swim in Puget Sound.

Bakeman’s father and her husband dropped her off at Hat Island early on a Saturday morning and the water was “a little choppy,” Bakeman said.

She just kept swimming.

It felt like forever, she admitted.

At the finish line, she was “shocked” when her husband showed her the clock — she had completed the journey in one hour and four minutes. It took her father an hour and 15 minutes three decades ago.

“She killed my time,” said her father, Jeff Bakeman.

When she completed her swim at Brighton Beach, Mary Bakeman arrived to cheers from her neighbors.

It was their own live sporting event, albeit on a smaller scale.

As if swimming in frigid 55-degree water wasn’t challenging enough, Bakeman was also stung on the neck by a jellyfish toward the end.

“A little token for my accomplishment I guess,” she said.

More in Life

Photo by Kira Erickson/South Whidbey Record
If looks could kilt: Whidbey club celebrates Scottish garb

More than four dozen lads and lasses from South Whidbey are part of the Rampant Kilt Society.

Photo by Kira Erickson
In the trees: Couple takes Whidbey Island vacation rental to new heights

Max Lindsay-Thorsen and Tatiana Rocha always knew they wanted to build treehouses.

Photo by Kira Erickson
Whidbey Island Fair returns

Visitors gather to take their turns on carnival rides and watch beloved 4-H animals compete.

Adrienne Lyle (Photo provided)
Whidbey Islander will compete in Tokyo Olympics

Adrienne Lyle and her horse, Salvino, set two American records in their Olympic qualifying events.

Queen Patsy Arthur and her court in the 1956 Fair Parade.
Decades of fair memories saved by South Whidbey Historical Society

Thousands of pages digitized and free to view online

Kids decorate cookies at the 2019 Whidbey Island Fair. (Photo provided)
Cookie decorating returning to Whidbey fair

More than 500 people stopped by for a creative and delicious treat at the 2019 fair.

Whidbey Island Fair makes return after year off

A beloved tradition that took a hiatus in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic is back this year.

Photo by Kira Erickson
Gary Gabelein, this year's grand marshal of the Whidbey Island Fair parade, with his donkey, Cleopatra.
Longtime fair volunteer, community member chosen as this year’s grand marshal

Gary Gabelein has a long history of involvement with the Whidbey Island Fair.

Becca Heavrin paints in her studio. (Photo by Karina Andrew/Whidbey News-Times)
New resident sets up her art studio in Greenbank

F or Becca Heavrin, creating art is a process of discovery.

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
Mark Saia points to a repair on the Suva's NAME OF EQUIPMENT
Suva returns to the water after undergoing repairs

The 95-year-old wooden sailboat spent the last month in dry dock to replace its horn timber.

Pacific Northwest Art School founder Muriel Pickard (Photo provided)
Pacific Northwest Art School recipient of legacy gifts

During their lifetimes, Muriel Pickard and Ellen Marott gave much more than money to the art school.

Photo by Kira Erickson
Kayla Bodenhafer, 15, with Kenny, a goat who broke his leg and avoided a death sentence earlier this year. The Bodenhafers refused to put him down and instead made him a cast. In years past, he has been at the Whidbey Island Fair.
Goats with success stories — and more — at Whidbey fair

Goats who miraculously recovered from injury and illness will compete at the upcoming fair.