Bill Oakes has some important mulling to do.
The public works director for Island County is investigating a proposal to place the county’s five-employee parks department within his department. He plans to make a presentation about his findings at a recent county commissioners’ staff session.
A 20-year-old woman was sentenced to jail for hiding stolen goods under her baby and punching a Wal-Mart security employee in October of 2007.
Two new members of the Island County Planning Commission will start digging into land-use policy beginning in March.
Commissioners Angie Homola and John Dean announced their picks for the volunteer board during the regular Monday meeting. The two nominees, an Oak Harbor and a Camano Island resident, were unanimously approved by the board.
It turns out that a 35-year-old South Whidbey man arrested for having a large pot-growing operation in his home had a prescription for medical marijuana.
The problem for Linus Travers, Jr., was that his prescription had briefly lapsed when detectives raided his Clinton house on Jan. 15, 2008.
Seattle attorney Jeffrey Steinborn, an expert in marijuana defense, said Travers decided to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of possession of 40 grams or less of marijuana rather than fight in court over the prescription-expiration issue.
Two intoxicated, homeless men who were trying to cook a frozen pizza on a barbecue pit at a waterfront park got into a fight that ended with a stabbing early Monday evening, according to Oak Harbor police.
Police Chief Rick Wallace said investigators are still trying to piece together the details, but one man is in jail and one man is in the hospital.
ith continued bad news about the economy, Island County officials agreed that just about all possible options for balancing the budget are on the table, including new taxes.
That could mean a new county utility tax, layoffs, reduction of hours, furloughs, cuts in overtime or voluntary relinquishment of health insurance.
The parents of four children who were sexually assaulted by a member of their Oak Harbor church have filed a lawsuit against the church, leaders of the church and the convicted child molester.
The complaint alleges that officials with Living Faith Christian Center were aware of warning signs and complaints regarding Nathan Martinez and his conduct toward children in the church, but they failed to investigate or alert the parents.
A former Oak Harbor man recently pleaded guilty in federal court to illegally importing more than $2 million in counterfeit exercise machines, blenders and other items, then selling them on eBay.
Oak Harbor’s newest talk show can best be described as “eclectic.”
Daniel Miller, a former Friday Harbor resident, moved to Whidbey from California to host his own radio talk show on KWDB 1110 AM.
But “Politics Today,” every Friday from 5 to 7 p.m., is about far more than politics.
At the heart of Island County’s latest $1 million budget hole crisis is Treasurer Linda Riffe’s inability to find banks willing to deal with the county, mainly because of a 1969 state law that few people were aware of before the economic crisis.
A 48-year-old Langley woman was driving in a reckless manner and caused a head-on collision on Cultus Bay Road Oct. 3, 2008, according to documents filed in Island County Superior Court.
Prosecutors charged Patricia Sylvester Feb. 10 with vehicular assault. If convicted, she could face from six months to a year in jail under the standard sentencing range.
A judge sent a stalker to jail last week.
Jermaine Flores, a 22-year-old Oak Harbor man, pleaded guilty in Island County Superior Court to stalking in violation of a no-contact order and violating a no-contact order.
A Level 2 sex offender with a lengthy criminal history will be living homeless in the Oak Harbor area.
