Basketball: Oak Harbor boys work overtime, defeat Everett 64-56

Mike Washington Jr. flies to the hoop in Oak Harbor’s overtime win Tuesday.  - Jim Woolbright/Whidbey News-Times
Mike Washington Jr. flies to the hoop in Oak Harbor’s overtime win Tuesday.
— image credit: Jim Woolbright/Whidbey News-Times

Apparently, the Oak Harbor High School boys basketball team has nothing against working overtime.

The Wildcats outscored the visiting Everett Seagulls 11-3 in the extra period for a 64-56 win Tuesday night.

Oak Harbor (3-8, 4-10) will need the momentum of the thrilling win as it travels to first-place Lake Stevens (11-1, 12-4) Friday, Jan. 29.

The Everett game was a sew-saw battle that featured 12 ties.

The Seagulls (1-11, 3-13) took the lead early in the first quarter and, although Oak Harbor tied it up several times, never trailed in the first half. Everett, however, never led by more than five points. When it did jump on top 13-8 late in the first period, the Wildcats erased that lead in 30 seconds on two Jay Stout buckets, a 3-pointer and a hoop off an assist from Mike Washington Jr.

Oak Harbor helped itself stay close by hitting all eight of its first-half free throws. Everett didn’t attempt a foul shot in the half until Will Brown hit the first of two with four seconds left to give the ‘Gulls a 22-21 half-time lead.

The second half was similar to the first, except it was Oak Harbor that led throughout with Everett hanging close.

The Wildcats began the third quarter on a 7-0 run. Washington hit a free throw, Denzel Hardin scored two fast break hoops, and Ryan Fakkema finished the spurt with another fast break bucket triggered by a Rashaad Smith blocked shot. That made it 28-22 with 4:30 left in the period.

The Seagulls bounced back to tie it 32-32 with 1:15 left. A 3-pointer from Washington, a free throw from Colby Anter and two more foul shots by Hardin helped Oak Harbor to a 38-34 lead going into the final quarter.

Up 42-41 at the 6:20 mark, Oak Harbor outscored Everett 8-1 to take the game’s biggest lead, 50-42, with 3:55 remaining in the game. The run was started when Fakkema and Washington hit back-to-back shots, then Trace Paul scored off a Fakkema pass. Stout, off an assist by Hardin, ended the run.

The Seagulls wiped away that lead in 95 seconds. After Spencer McKinnon completed a three-point play and followed that moments later with a 3-pointer, it was all tied-up 50-50 with 2:20 left.

Stevie Bratt scored off a nice pass from Smith to give Oak Harbor the lead, and Everett countered with its own bucket to tie it 52-52 with 1:44 remaining.

After a Brown free throw put Everett up one, Oak Harbor missed on its next possession. The Seagulls attempted a court-length pass to beat the Wildcat press, but Bratt was fouled intercepting the pass. He dropped in the first of two free throws to tie the game 53-53 with 17.5 seconds left.

An Everett turnover gave Oak Harbor one more chance in regulation, but Hardin’s floater in the key at the buzzer kissed off the front of the rim.

The four-minute overtime was all Oak Harbor. Stout and Washington scored, Smith hit a free-throw, Washington finished off a three-point play and it was 61-53 with 1:37 left.

The Oak Harbor defense did not give up a field goal and created several turnovers in the OT to seal the win.

Both teams sank 21 field goals (Everett was 21-49, 43 percent; Oak Harbor 21-52, 40 percent), but Oak Harbor hit 10 more foul shots. The Wildcats were 20-29 from the stripe; Everett was 10-16. The Seagulls committed 22 fouls, six more than the ‘Cats.

Oak Harbor won the rebounding battle 37-34, including an 11-8 edge on the offensive boards, and committed fewer turnovers, 15 to 20.

The Wildcats were led in scoring by their backcourt. Washington finished with 19 points, Stout 15 and Hardin 13. Washington and Smith each had 10 rebounds, and Hardin had five rebounds and four assists.

Coach Mike Washington Sr. said, “Denzel (Hardin) was the player of the game. He really gave us a lift and kept his composer at the end.”

Bratt had five points, Fakkema four, Paul four, Smith three and Anter one.

Coach Washington said, “The intensity was better in the second half. I am happy for the kids; it was nice win.”

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates