Oak Harbor beats Bulldogs in a wild one

Sometimes it's a difficult proposition to win a high school football game when a team gives up a bunch of big plays, misses a lot of tackles and commits four turnovers.

However when you have three running backs who each rush for more than of 125 yards, you have a chance to come out on top.That was the situation at Wildcat Memorial Stadium Friday night when Oak Harbor evened its pre-season record at 2-2 with a 42-32 victory over Mount Vernon.

Oak Harbor appeared to have the game well in hand early on, taking a 7-0 lead after the first quarter of action.

Donovan Hunt capped a five-play drive to open the game ripping off a 49-yard touchdown run at the 9:37 mark of the opening quarter. Kevin Flavin booted the extra point and the Wildcats were off to the races.

Stephen Lewis made the score 14-0 midway through the second quarter to put Oak Harbor up 14-0 but after that, things began to come unraveled.

The Bulldogs scored twice late in the second period on passes of 25 and 2 yards from quarterback Ray Walser to Joe Barrington and Evan Hill respectfully, to tie the score 14-14.

With 48 seconds remaining before the break, Greg Goebel scooped up a Walser fumble and rambled 38 yards to the end zone for a score. Flavin added the extra point to give Oak Harbor a 21-14 halftime advantage.

Michael Acode opened the third quarter for the Bulldogs returning the kickoff 93 yards to OaK Harbor's 1-yard line and Walser punched the ball in the end zone two plays later to tie the score once again.

David Navarro then nailed a 33-yard field goal at the 8:31 mark of the third quarter to give Mount Vernon its first lead, 24-21, and things were looking bleak for the Wildcats and their fans.

Oak Harbor began a drive at the 27-yard line after the ensuing kickoff and a fake punt eventually led to Lewis scoring his second touchdown of the game on a 20-yard run with 2:18 remaining in the third quarter to put the Wildcats back in front once again.

The defense rose to the occasion late in the quarter holding Mount Vernon to three plays and out and with 45 seconds remaining, Lewis tallied his third score of the game on a 5-yard run to up the margin to 35-24.

Walser brought Mount Vernon back late in the fourth quarter scoring a touchdown from 1-yard out and then hit Tim Olivarez with a pass for the 2-point conversion to shave the lead to 35-32.

The Wildcats took possession in the waning moments of the contest and on a fourth and 15 situation, Hunt ripped off 30-yard scoring dash to pay dirt with 27 seconds showing on the clock to put the game away.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates