Friday Harbor flexes muscle

Ron Bagby knew Friday Harbor had a good football team.

He just wasn’t aware of how good — at least until Friday night.

The Wolverines, ranked second in the state’s most recent AP poll, lived up to the hype as they dismantled the Wolves 61-22 at Mickey Clark Field.

“I’ve played against some Archbishop (Murphy) teams in the past that were pretty good,” Bagby said. “This might be the best football team I’ve ever played against.”

Friday Harbor wasted no time showing its multidimensional abilities.

On their first possession, the Wolverines completed a 7-play drive, scoring on a 24-yard sweep run to the left from running back Tyler Hart.

After intercepting CHS quarterback Mike Bagby on the ensuing CHS possession, the Wolverines struck quickly.

On Friday Harbor’s first play, Hart broke free on another sweep left, this time for a 33-yard TD.

Down 13-0 with 7:21 left in the first quarter, Coupeville briefly worked its way back into the game on the kickoff after the touchdown.

Fielding the ball at his own 15, CHS junior Trevor Tucker followed the solid blocks of his teammates and scampered 85 yards up the right sideline for a touchdown, bringing the score to 13-6.

That was as close as the game got, however.

On its next possession Friday Harbor capped off a 3-play drive with Hart scoring from 60-yards out.

The Friday Harbor junior wasn’t done there.

He scored on a 74-yard touchdown later in the half, leaving him with six carries for the game, but an astounding four TDs and 200 yards rushing.

“That just gets you so down,” coach Bagby said. “They’re just so fast, so strong — they block so well.”

Friday Harbor tacked on five more touchdowns in the first half, highlighted by a 54-yard pass from quarterback Cole Franklin to Trent Roberts and a 39-yard run from Loch Stimpson.

The Wolves managed one more score before halftime on a hard-nosed 5-yard run from senior J.J. Marti along with a two-point conversion on a pass from Bagby to sophomore James Smith.

Down 54-14 at halftime, coach Bagby was left in a tough spot.

“We just talked about at halftime coming out and playing with character and trying to get better and I thought our kids did,” he said.

Coupeville held Friday Harbor scoreless the third quarter and allowed just one touchdown midway through the fourth.

The Wolves tacked on their only second half score at the 3:33 mark of the third on an 8-yard run from Tucker.

Coach Bagby knows a loss like this could be hard to take, but he hopes the Wolves can bounce back quickly.

“Sometimes when you get beat like that it sort of knocks the swagger out of the walk a little bit — we need to gain our swagger back,” he said.

With the toughest team in the league out of the way, Bagby thinks if the Wolves recover quickly, things could go very well for them in their final five games.

“I think we can run the table,” he said.

Coupeville is now 1-1 in the Northwest A/B and 2-3 overall. They face Orcas Island (0-2, 3-2) at 1 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 8 on the road.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates