Oak Harbor blanks Terrace

Similar to a freight train building up its speed, the Oak Harbor football team got off to a slow start before plowing Mountlake Terrace 26-0 at Edmonds Stadium Saturday.

As with most early season games, things don’t always go as smoothly as desired. This was most apparent as the Oak Harbor offense started out Saturday.

“I think it was nerves,” head coach Dave Ward said. “We just missed some opportunities in the first half.”

The Cats picked up the lone first-half touchdown on a 13-yard pass from senior John Lobbestael to senior wide receiver Jeremy Brown with 53 seconds remaining in the first quarter. The touchdown was the only points scored by either team in the first half and gave the Cats a 6-0 lead going into the locker room.

Oak Harbor came out a different team offensively in the third quarter.

“We got more efficient in the second half,” Ward said.

Senior running back Adam Diaz picked up the second score for the Wildcats, crossing the goal line for a four-yard score with five minutes left in the third. After the extra point by senior Blake Ward, the Cats took a 13-0 advantage.

Oak Harbor tacked on one more third quarter touchdown on a 35-yard touchdown pass from Lobbestael to senior tight end Nate Metcalf, basically putting the game out of reach.

Oak Harbor added their final score of the game in the fourth quarter when Lobbestael connected with Ward for a 38-yard touchdown pass.

In his first start as varsity quarterback, Lobbestael had a productive day, completing 11 of 22 passes for 165 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. Diaz was the Cats’ top rusher with 64 yards on nine attempts and one touchdown. Metcalf led Oak Harbor in receiving with 57 yards and was one of seven different receivers to make a catch on the day.

The Wildcats’ defense kept the Hawks’ offense off balance all game long, holding them to just 22 yards rushing.

“The defense was real solid,” Ward said. “We put real good pressure on their quarterback, the coverage was good, we never gave up anything too long and we made our tackles.”

Senior free safety Joe Carreras led Oak Harbor in unassisted tackles with 11.

“He was all over the field making plays,” Ward said.

outlook is positive

As of Tuesday afternoon, it appears Oak Harbor’s first home game against Mount Vernon should take place at 7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 12.

After questions surrounding the outbreak of viral meningitis that affected 14 players on the Mount Vernon football team, the Skagit County Health Department has determined the situation no longer a threat, according to Az Franciose, Oak Harbor School District nurse.

“They’re feeling confident everything is safe,” she said.

Franciose, who has remained in contact with the SCHD, said they feel the game is well outside the period of communicability. The infectious period is three to seven days from diagnosis and no new cases have been reported since Sept. 1.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates