Second half goals top Wolves 2-1

Thursday’s Cascade Conference soccer matchup between league-leading Lakewood and Coupeville at Mickey Clark Field was a game neither team deserved to lose.

Wolves’ coach Paul Mendes said his team played its best game of the season, only to come up on the short end of a heartbreaking 2-1 score.

Geoff Wacker put Coupeville in front 1-0 with a goal at the 25-minute mark of the first half, but a couple of unlucky breaks allowed the Red Wolves to score twice in the final 40 minutes of action to pull the game out.

“Today was by far our best game,” Mendes said. “We played not only at a good level but also against a good team.”

Coupeville had additional scoring opportunities in the first half when Wacker put a shot just wide of the left corner of the net and with six minutes remaining before the break, Jordan Lam had a shot go off the crossbar above Lakewood goal keeper Peter Karrenberg’s head.

“We had our chances in the first half,” Mendes said. “Our defense was real fired up and played a very strong game.”

In the second half, Joseph Hawkins headed the ball past Wolves’ goal keeper Evan Amelexum-Coleman at the 57-minute mark to tie the score 1-1.

Then, in the final two minutes of the game, a shot by Evander Ochoa took an unlucky bounce over Amelexum-Coleman’s head for the winning score.

“This game was a shot in the arm for us and it will pump us up for the second half of the season,” Mendes said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates