Letters to the Editor

Stadium: School board has important role

I wish to express my concern with the tone of the proposal for a high school sports complex as voiced by Mr. Bull and published in the Feb. 21 paper. I am addressing the issue as it is portrayed in that article.

Specifically, the “take it or leave it” aspect of the proposition is raising red flags for me. I wish to point out that even if the Rotary Club should raise $1,000,000 that still would be only 20 percent of the funding of a $5,000,000 dollar facility. Please remember that the remaining 80 percent would be funded at taxpayer expense. I submit that it is the responsibility of the school board to ensure, first and foremost, that the wishes of the tax paying public are validated, and represented.

I submit that Oak Harbor School Board stands as a credible entity only as it serves to represent the entire community. The current school board’s credibility was also impuned in a separate letter to the editor in the Feb. 28 edition. That writer harkened back to board mistakes from the 1960’s! Give’em a break!

I do wish to commend the Rotary Club for their pro-active stance. I think it’s great when community minded organizations go out on a limb to improve our schools. I only hope that there would be a spirit of compromise in the details and scope of any plan. Indeed, it seems to me that without such a spirit, the proposal is doomed at the outset.

In regards to the statement that an “athletic facility is more important than a new high school,” I would caution the board to ascertain first if that is a true representation of the community at large. Indeed, if that does not reflect the community, then we might as well stop the process now, understanding that the proposition is ill-conceived and not passable at the polls.

Once again, I do laud the efforts of the Rotary Club. I know them to be positive players in Oak Harbor civic life. I do not wish in any way to demean their concerns and contributions. I wholeheartedly agree with them that we need to improve our facilities. I hope that their efforts can be incorporated into a broader plan for known capital needs in our school district.

Mike Radach

Oak Harbor

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Nov 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates