Letters to the Editor

Driving: Don't pass on fog line

I feel if I had sent this message to Sheriff Hawley sooner it perhaps might have saved the life of the motorcycle driver who was killed on South Whidbey. The predicament is when impatient drivers pass motorist that are turning left when there is no left turn lane and swing wide with rampant illegal passing in the fog lane, especially on Highway 20.

What people fail to understand other than it's illegal is that the car behind them has a greater likelihood traveling at 60 mph to rear end the person turning left. I live off Frostad Road and when I turn left on Frostad with my RV that weighs 22,000 pounds, cars pass me so brutally that my motor home shakes.

It is also frightening when my wife or I drive our autos and must turn left and look in the rearview mirror to see a car nearing with speeds up to 60 mph knowing they’re going to pass. When I drive my motorcycle I will not stop to turn left if there are cars in the opposite lane and I can't turn instantaneously. I will try to turn left starting at Jones Road then Frostad then Sleeper Road and I will drive all the way to the Exxon station or Ault Field Road. My wife and I were given warnings for violating this law eight years ago as we didn't know it was illegal. I believe that 60 percent of drivers don't know this passing law and the other 40 percent don't care. When I stop behind someone who is turning left I get irritated stares and one finger hand gestures. I know the sheriff has budget constraints and I am sure he is short handed with deputies however, this is so critical I believe he needs to act now.

Put a decoy turning left and ticket people who pass in the fog lane. Every time a car passes me I count in increments of $75 for every car that goes around me illegally, which I believe is the fine and I am in the hundred of thousands of dollars. If the sheriff tickets enough people for this violation he will get the message out and funds will be made for the county.

Please act so there will be no more deaths due to people's impatience and ignorance of the law.

Folks, don’t be in such a hurry that you break the law and become responsible for an injury or death to another driver.

William Ludlow

Oak Harbor

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates