The controversy over whether guns should be banned from Oak Harbor City Council meetings is very unfortunate.
Allow me to propose a five point solution that should satisfy everyone and produce peace in our time.
1. People attending City Council meetings may carry guns to exercise their Second Amendment rights.
2. A bullet-proof shield will be mounted in front of City Council members and employees.
3. Each council member will have a machine gun mounted in front of them with the barrel projecting through a slit in the bullet-proof shield so that they also can exercise their Second Amendment rights.
4. The machine guns for those council members who don’t want to kill anyone will be armed only with sedative injecting darts, such as are used by wildlife biologists.
5. Anyone who strangely enough feels threatened by firearms at heated public meetings can participate by remote video link.
This should result in the safest possible City Council meetings, even safer than when no guns whatsoever are present. After all, the NRA assures us that the more guns there are, the safer we are. And the more places these guns are, the safer we are. It makes perfect sense, doesn’t it?