Letters to the Editor

Fridge explosion damages home

A fridge explosion rocked the peace and quiet of one south Nanaimo neighbourhood and severely damaged a home early Wednesday.

Doug Bell, chief fire investigator with Nanaimo Fire Rescue, said the explosion occurred in a residential home in the 200 block of Sabiston Street at about 6 a.m. Wednesday.

“At this time we suspect that a flammable mixture was put into a refrigerator and the fumes from the mixture built up inside the refrigerator and when it turned on it blew up,” said Bell.

He said the explosion caused extensive structural damage, as well as blowing most of the windows out of the house. Nobody was hurt.

The explosion is still under investigation.

Bell couldn’t say what the flammable mixture was, why it was in the fridge, or whether there was anybody home at the time of the explosion.

reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.