- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Beautiful 88 years for garden club
On behalf of the Oak Harbor Park Board, we believe the holiday season is the perfect time of year to thank all the members of the Oak Harbor Garden Club for their dedicated service in beautifying our city.
The club began in 1923 as a civic club devoted to making Oak Harbor a better place to live. Today, many generations later, their mission statement is the same: “To develop a beautiful city through loving care of small spaces.”
One of the first things they did was save Smith Park, with its numerous Garry oak trees, from being developed. Over the past 88 years, the Garden Club has worked on virtually every park and public garden area in the city. They have landscaped and maintained the Chamber of Commerce; the Girl Scout Hall the Flintstone car area; the windmill area at Windjammer Park; and Maylor’s Point Trail. The Garden Club has also worked with the Oak Harbor School District, helping to beautify their small spaces and education the children about gardening. For many years they purchased the hanging baskets for Pioneer Way and, recently, they’ve been researching, designing and planting the new planters on the new streetscape on Pioneer Way. The Garden Club also adopted Hal Ramaley Park in 2000 and they have spent countless hours and dollars landscaping and maintaining the park. Last year they added a beautiful gazebo to the park.
The city Park Board would like to express our sincere appreciation for the contributions of the Oak Harbor Garden Club and for their many years of civic improvement efforts within the city of Oak Harbor.
Helen Chatfield-Weeks, chairwoman
Oak Harbor Park Board