State Ferries float Clinton-Mukilteo schedule changes at open house

In preparation for summer, Washington State Ferries is proposing schedule changes to the Clinton-to-Mukilteo ferry route.

An open house is 5:30- 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 21 at the Clinton Community Hall. There will be no formal presentation, but project staff will be accessible to answer questions and take feedback.

According to a draft of the proposed changes, certain sailings will be pushed back five and, in some cases, 10 minutes. For example, the 2:30 p.m. sailing from Clinton would leave at 2:35 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. sailing at 3:40 p.m. The proposed schedule will start in June, and will undergo a six-month pilot program through the fall.

The agency said Monday news release that the proposed adjustments will increase loading and unloading times. The total number of daily sailings will not change, and service won’t be pared down.

“WSF is committed to improving on-time performance on this route,” Senior Planning Manager Ray Deardorf said. “We need to make schedule adjustments to improve reliability and provide predictability for our customers, especially when customers are making local transit connections.”

The schedule changes were proposed for the route in an effort to improve “on time performance.” The current sailing schedule was designed for two 124-car Issaquah class ferries. WSF introduced the larger 144-car Tokitae in 2014, and late departures have been a regularity during the busy summer months ever since.

The late departures have led to longer waiting lines, according to the press release.

State Ferries announced last year that it would bring the Suquamish, the fourth and last budgeted Olympic-class 144-car ferry being built by the state, to run during the busy summer months. It was the result of a community-driven effort to reduce long ferry lines and loading problems associated with mismatched ferries.

Critics voiced concerns that a second larger boat wouldn’t fix the problem, but add to it.

Ian Sterling, a Ferries spokesman, said it’s too early to tell whether a second 144-car ferry will affect the schedule. It won’t hit the water until 2018. The new Mukilteo terminal is also a variable, and it’s not scheduled to open until 2019.

The proposed scheduled change is a temporary “stop-gap,” an “experiment” aimed at addressing the long lines created by the mismatched ferries.

“This is a pilot program, it’s not a permanent thing,” Sterling said.

“Everybody would agree that on-time performance is a good thing, and we’ve been slipping on that route for some time,” he added.

The proposed schedule will start in June, and will undergo a six-month pilot program through the fall.

Dave Hoogerwerf, the longtime chairman of the Clinton Advisory Committee and one of those who spearheaded the effort to unify South Whidbey in requesting the second larger ferry, said he and Island County Commissioner Helen Price Johnson have met with ferry officials to discuss the proposal. He’s not overly concerned.

“I don’t think it’s a huge impact,” Hoogerwerf said. “It’s only during the afternoon.”

He’s not convinced, however, that it’s the best course to take. The state should consider other solutions, such as streamlining traffic during loading and unloading in Mukilteo; business traffic and pedestrians are allowed to interrupt the traffic flow, he said.

As to what will happen when the Suquamish begins operating on the run, he said ferry officials he’s spoken with maintain that it won’t be a problem, especially when the new terminal opens, but that only time will tell for sure.

“Your guess is as good as mine,” he said.

What’s really needed is more data that examines the problems, and the solutions.

More in News

Commissioner rejects prosecutor’s request

Last week, Island County Commissioner Jill Johnson said she would vote against… Continue reading

Highway 20 clear after 2-vehicle traffic accident

Highway 20 has been cleared after a two-vehicle motor vehicle accident occurred… Continue reading

Hundreds of newspapers burn in car fire, delivery delayed

A car fire delayed the delivery of hundreds of copies of the… Continue reading

Man tracks down stolen bicycles

A little detective work by a Clinton resident led to the return… Continue reading

Oak Harbor hosts Kindergarten Orientation

Oak Harbor Public Schools is hosting its annual Kindergarten Orientation at 6… Continue reading

WhidbeyHealth EMS seeks levy extension

Tax supports 60 percent of operating budget

Former Island County corrections officer Mark Moffit cries as he apologizes to the family of Keaton Farris during sentencing at the Whatcom County Courthouse in Bellingham on Tuesday. Farris died of dehydration and malnutrition in the Island County Jail in 2015. Moffit and fellow former corrections officer David Lind were sentenced for forging their safety logs to make it seem like they’d been checking on Farris more often than they did. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
Former jail guards sentenced in dehydration death of inmate

During a mental health crisis in 2015, Keaton Farris, 25, wasted away in the Island County Jail.

Crossing guard inducted into school safety patrol hall of fame

Logan Eash used to look out the window on his way to… Continue reading

Congrats, concerns over detox facility

Representatives from Island County were met with kudos, concerns and complaints during… Continue reading

Most Read