No injuries in Greenbank house fire

A Greenbank family awoke early Saturday morning to an electrical fire and was able to safety exit the home.

Central Whidbey Island Fire and Rescue responded to a call at 1:12 a.m. to the residence on Mastodon Drive, according to a press release.

The home did not have working smoke alarms, but one of the occupants awoke to discover the fire, which originated in an electrical outlet.

Central Whidbey Island Fire Chief Ed Hartin said the small fire was contained to one wall in the master bedroom and damage was limited.

The occupants tried extinguishing the fire themselves at first, but the two adults and two children left the building after the smoke became unbearable, the release states.

Doors and windows were left open, which helped feed the fire.

Firefighters extinguished the flames within 10 minutes of arriving at the scene, Hartin said. Homeowners repaired the damage Sunday.

If Central Whidbey residents don’t have working smoke alarms, CWIFR will install them free of charge.

• For information about having smoke alarms installed, call 360-678-3602.

More in News

State revenue forecast shows a $554 million increase for 2019-21

By Emma Epperly WNPA Olympia News Bureau Legislators have $554 million more… Continue reading

Island County to simplify its code

For years, there have been complaints that Island County’s land-use code is… Continue reading

Lawmakers propose an increase in school levy rates

By Emma Epperly WNPA Olympia News Bureau Voter-approved school levy lid rates… Continue reading

SICBA home, garden show underway

Skagit/Island Counties Builders Association, or SICBA, will hold its 39th Annual Home… Continue reading

State Patrol launches bump stock buy-back program

With the governor’s signing of Senate Bill 5954, the Washington State Patrol… Continue reading

Man charged with choking woman holding toddler

A 36-year-old Oak Harbor man is facing charges for allegedly strangling his… Continue reading

Teenager hit crossing highway

A 16-year-old boy walked away with minor injuries after being hit by… Continue reading

Hearing examiner to consider rezone, variance

The public is welcome to comment during an Oak Harbor hearing examiner… Continue reading

Beware the flamingos

Coupeville residents can donate to avoid a pink yard flock

Most Read