No birds or people were injured or killed in a chicken coop fire Monday morning.
North Whidbey Fire and Rescue responded to the blaze at 7:35 a.m. on Penn Cove Road, according to fire Chief Mark Kirko.
Kirko said personnel were on the scene in about four minutes and had the fire under control within approximately five minutes.
The coop and attached storage building were a total loss, he said. No damage was reported to other structures.
Although the cause of fire hadn’t been determined yet, Kirko said Monday morning it’s common for coops to catch on fire when heat lamps meant to keep chicks warm are knocked over by the birds.