A Coupeville merchant is recovering after passing out and falling from scaffolding along Front Street in Coupeville last week.
Larry Vail, who owns the Vail Wine Shop along with his wife Patsy, passed out while standing on scaffolding in front of his shop and landed on his head Nov. 3.
He was unresponsive and not breathing when units were dispatched to a CPR in progress, according to Capt. Jerry Helm of Central Whidbey Fire & Rescue.
Deputy Bo Miller with the Coupeville Marshal’s office arrived first, hooked up his automated external defibrillator device, or AED, and delivered a shock before paramedics from WhidbeyHealth Medical Center arrived, according to Coupeville Marshal Chris Garden.
WhidbeyHealth paramedics arrived and started IV’s and an airway tube, Helm said.
Vail was transported with a pulse to WhidbeyHealth then airlifted to an off-island hospital.
“It looks like he had a heart problem, collapsed and fell from the scaffold,” Garden said.
Garden had heard that Vail was doing well in his recovery, which was confirmed by Vail’s wife Tuesday.