It’s the season for fire safety

Each year, many lives are lost due to house fires that could have easily been prevented, tragically disrupting lives and leaving families to mourn the loss of loved ones.

As we enjoy this holiday season, recent tragedies across the region can serve as reminder for everyone to pause and think about fire safety and awareness.

Oak Harbor Fire Chief Ray Merrill said firefighters respond to more fires at the holiday than any other time of year. Most could have been prevented with a little more common sense.

Merrill said some of the seasonal causes of fire are unattended cooking and burning candles, which are some of the most common causes of house fires.

It can’t be stressed enough, he said, to check and or replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. People are supposed to replace detectors every ten years.

“Your life is worth more than the cost of a two dollar battery,” Merrill said.

He added it is very common to see that some people don’t even have any batteries in the smoke detectors at all.

The following are a few other tips from the American Red Cross.

Do not overload extension or power cords by “daisy chaining” them together. Do not store boxes or other combustable material on top of electrical cords. Give your space heater some space and do not put it too close to furniture or drapes.

It’s always a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher handy especially in the kitchen area but don’t waste time trying to put the fire out if it gets out of control. Evacuate the house and call 911. Never go back inside the house for any reason.

Talk to your loved ones about having an escape plan to leave the house if needed. For multiple story residences, it is a good idea to have an escape ladder in each room. Practice your fire evacuation plan once or twice a year.

More in News

Man uninjured in rollover on icy Madrona Way

A 23-year-old man was uninjured after his Chevy pickup rolled over on… Continue reading

Class teaches disaster readiness

‘There’s no reason not to be prepared’

State lawmaker aims to improve recycling process

Many people feel a sense of accomplishment when they opt to recycle… Continue reading

Van driver accused of ramming pickup truck

The driver of a van is accused of chasing a down a… Continue reading

New building permit fees expected to reduce costs

The Board of Island County Commissioners is set to vote on building… Continue reading

Contributed photo — Erin Kelly was so appreciative of Marc Swenson’s efforts that she baked him a “Thank You” cake.
Volunteer firefighter saves neighbor’s home

A quick response by a local firefighter may have helped save a… Continue reading

Gifts from the Heart turns sweet 16

Clients at Gifts at the Heart Food Bank will be in for… Continue reading

Man arrested for pawning stolen student robotics club’s telescope

A man faces a felony charge after getting caught pawning a telescope… Continue reading

Whidbey News Group file photo
                                Blake Fountain was arrested by Island County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Rob Davison after he burned down a Useless Bay Colony home and partially destroyed another in July 2017.
Man who burned down two homes pleads guilty to lesser charge

A man who started a fire that burned down two homes on… Continue reading

Most Read