Island County family settles DSHS suit for $3 million

The state Department of Social and Health Services settled a lawsuit brought by an Island County family for $3 million, according to documents filed in U.S. District Court.

The couple alleged a social worker didn’t disclose that the boy they were adopting was previously diagnosed as a psychopath and had acted in a sexually inappropriate manner.

After he was adopted, the boy sexually assaulted the couple’s three children when he was 12 and 13 years old.

The state settled the case “without any admission of liability,” according to court documents. Judge Richard Jones approved the settlement Jan. 14.

The couple was represented by Lincoln Beauregard and Jule Kays of Connelly Law Offices in Seattle.

Beauregard previously represented women who were sexually assaulted as children by a swim coach who worked for North Whidbey Park and Recreation District, as well as alleged sexual-assault victims of the former Seattle mayor.

According to the complaint, a social worker had the boy evaluated by a neuropsychologist who formally diagnosed him as a psychopath. The expert concluded that there was a concern for his “unpredictable behavior in a person with potentially psychotic and clearly violent thinking.”

In a deposition, the social worker said she “probably should” have provided the new parents with the report, the complaint states.

“This sort of deliberately deceptive neglect should not just be civilly accountable, but perhaps considered criminal behavior,” the lawsuit states.

The complaint explained how the mother discovered that the boy had been molesting the other children. It outlined a series of steps she took in immediately contacting a long series of state agencies and the Island County Sheriff’s Office for help.

The boy was convicted of child molestation and sentenced under the state Special Sex Offender Sentencing Alternative, which allows for a shorter sentence if an offender agrees to attend treatment and abide by strict rules.

The prosecution later moved to revoke the special sentence because the boy broke the rules by looking at pornography, but the judge denied the request, according to court records.

Since then, the boy hasn’t been charged with any sex-related offenses, according to court documents.

More in News

Bail revoked for man who violated terms of his release

An Oak Harbor man accused of purposely crashing into a car with… Continue reading

Fire marshal says burn ban now in effect

A burn ban is now in effect in Island County, the fire… Continue reading

Port of Coupeville is moving forward with broadband study

Port of Coupeville is working to upgrade to a fiber-optics system that… Continue reading

SAR rescues hiker near Green Mountain

A Search and Rescue team from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island rescued… Continue reading

Man accused of cyberstalking, harassing former girlfriend

A man is accused of cyberstalking for allegedly threatening a South Whidbey… Continue reading

Axe-swinging suspect to get evaluation

An Oak Harbor man accused of threatening a store clerk with an… Continue reading

Input sought on waste management plan

Island County is asking for public comment on its plan to dispose… Continue reading

Welcome Home Oak Harbor holding open house

Welcome Home Oak Harbor Senior Memory Care will be hosting a community… Continue reading

Coupeville hosts Sustainability Fair Wednesday

Those with questions about almost anything green — saving energy, conserving water,… Continue reading

Most Read