Photo by Jessie Stensland / Whidbey News-Times Michael Marcelino, a Navy logistics specialist with VP-1, speaks about his response to a fire in Oak Harbor Tuesday night that killed a man and injured a woman.

House fire in Oak Harbor kills man, injures woman

A man was killed and a woman is in Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after a house fire in Oak Harbor Tuesday night, according to the Oak Harbor Fire Department.

The Island County coroner identified the man as 92-year-old Robert Gatti. The cause of death is smoke inhalation.

His wife, 79-year-old Beverly Gatti, is in critical but stable condition at Harborview as of Friday afternoon.

Michael Marcelino, a Navy logistics specialist with VP-1, was driving to the grocery store and saw the smoke billowing from the house on Southeast Sixth Avenue near the intersection with Southeast Ireland Street at around 9:45 p.m.

Marcelino said he turned to look and saw the flames inside. He stopped his car and jumped out to help.

A neighbor woman was coming out of her house after hearing the sound of glass breaking. He yelled to her to call 911.

Marcelino said he went in through the garage and opened the door to the house.

He was immediately overwhelmed by black smoke and heat. He called out to see if anyone was inside, but didn’t hear a response.

“I would have tried to run in if I heard someone,” he said.

The neighbor told him that the dispatcher advised that he should not go into the house, so he backed out.

By that time, he said, the living room of the house was entirely engulfed in flames.

Firefighters with the Oak Harbor Fire Department arrived shortly afterward, he said.

The response took less than three minutes, according to Fire Chief Ray Merrill.

Firefighters suited up and went into the house. They had to feel their way around in the complete darkness caused by the smoke, Merrill explained.

They quickly retrieved the unconscious man and woman and placed them in ambulances, Marcelino recalled.

Paramedics tried to resuscitate the man, but he did not survive and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The woman was transported to the hospital in Coupeville and then airlifted to Harborview, the chief said.

The fire originated in the living room and was contained there. Merrill said the cause of the fire has not been definitively established, but it “most definitely” looks like an accident caused by combustible materials left in front of a heat source.

Merrill said the fire burned very hot. He estimates that it was 1,200 degrees at the ceiling and about 200 degrees at the floor.

In addition to the Oak Harbor Fire Department, the Navy fire department and WhidbeyHealth ambulances responded to the scene.

Marcelino said he was shocked to see other people drive by the fire and not stop to help.

“It was crazy,” he said. “I’ve never seen anything like that before.”

He felt he had no choice but to help and wishes he could have done more.

“I stopped because I hope someone would stop for us if anything like that ever happened to my family,” he said.

Photo by Jessie Stensland / Whidbey News-Times Michael Marcelino, a Navy logistics specialist with VP-1, speaks about his response to a fire in Oak Harbor Tuesday night that killed a man and injured a woman.

More in News

A chance to get to know the Captain Whidbey, new owners

Over a century old and a central Whidbey landmark, the Captain Whidbey… Continue reading

New education, training program for juvenile court

Island County Juvenile Court will soon start a pilot program aimed at… Continue reading

Naval search and rescue team rescues two people from Cascade Mountains

A Search and Rescue (SAR) team from Naval Air Station (NAS) Whidbey… Continue reading

Expert: Chief followed protocol

David Marks’ arrest of suspect ‘exactly what we teach’

Photo by Laura Guido/Whidbey News-Times.
                                Donovan McCulley cheers at the end of the commencement ceremony Saturday.
Oak Harbor grads show ‘inspirational ambition’

Oak Harbor High School’s class of 2018 reached graduation through four years… Continue reading

Power outage planned for Thursday in Coupeville

About 900 Puget Sound Energy customers in Coupeville will be left in… Continue reading

Marc Gallaway
Oak Harbor grad earns state Principal of the Year honor

Marc Gallaway, a 1988 graduate of Oak Harbor High School and currently… Continue reading

Survey shows mostly positive impression of rural events

Though public hearings on the issue have often been contentious on both… Continue reading

Port executive director gets raise

The Port of Coupeville Executive Director is receiving a pay raise. Chris… Continue reading

Most Read