Photo contest celebrates bridge’s 75th anniversary
June 11, 2010 · 4:03 PM
In celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Deception Pass Bridge, the Whidbey News-Times is asking people to submit their favorite photos of the bridge in an online photo contest. The contest begins Saturday and will run until 5 p.m. on Sunday, June 27.
The Deception Pass Bridge turns 75 on July 31. A celebration will take place at the East Cranberry Lake area on the Whidbey Island side of Deception Pass State Park. The day will begin with a ribbon cutting at noon on the bridge, 75 years to the minute from the first ribbon cutting at opening of the bridge.
People can register and submit photos at the Whidbey News-Times website, www.whidbeynewstimes.com. Participants can enter up to five images and should meet the following standards:
• Submit the highest quality image possible.
• Do not put watermark or place any other distinguishing marks (i.e. names) on the image.
• Do not submit an image with identifiable information due to the anonymous judging process.
• Submit real photos that have not had extensive digital manipulation beyond typical cropping, toning, dodging and burning an image or in-camera/lighting techniques.
• Only submit digitally uploaded images. Sorry, no hard copy submissions.
Photographers will retain all rights and ownership of submitted images. By submitting you are granting Sound Publishing and its subsidiaries the right to use any and all information related to the contest, including information on contestants obtained through the contest, for marketing purposes or any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
People wishing to vote in the contest have to register as a user. Then view the entries and vote for your favorite. You can vote once per day. New images will be added daily through June 27, please visit and vote often.
First place in the juried contest will be featured on the cover of our Deception Pass Bridge 75th anniversary publication. A prize will also be awarded for the People’s Choice winner. Additional prizes will be announced.
Voting begins Saturday, June 12 and continues until 5 p.m. Sunday, July 11.
Winners will be announced in the July 28 edition of the Whidbey News-Times and on the www.whidbeynewstimes.com website.