News

Goldie Street home damaged by fire

Firefighters from the Oak Harbor Fire Department doused a  blaze that damaged a home Monday morning on Goldie Street.  - Nathan Whalen/Whidbey News-Times
Firefighters from the Oak Harbor Fire Department doused a blaze that damaged a home Monday morning on Goldie Street.
— image credit: Nathan Whalen/Whidbey News-Times

A home was damaged by a fire Monday morning near Goldie Street in Oak Harbor.

When firefighters arrived, they noticed black smoke billowing out of the structure, located on the former Catfish Lane, said Ray Merrill, battalion chief.

Michael Darby, who lives next door, returned home to pick up his coffee mug when he noticed smoke coming out of the vent of the house. He said he checked to see if anyone was home, called 911 and informed the landlord.

Nobody was in the house at the time of the fire.

Merrill described the damage as minor, and limited to a front room in the home near the chimney. He said the cause of the fire was accidental. It turned out the fire started from a wood stove.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.