Man charged with stalking wife

Police say a 25-year-old Navy man was stalking his wife while there was a military protection order barring him from contacting her, according to court documents.

Prosecutors charged William Turner of Oak Harbor in Island County Superior Court Jan. 6 with harassment (with threats to kill) and stalking.

On Jan. 2, Judge Alan Hancock set Turner’s bail at $10,000 and approved a domestic violence no-contact order barring Turner from coming within 800 feet of his wife’s home, school or work.

At the request of Whidbey Island Naval Air Station security personnel, Oak Harbor Police Officer Jennifer Rutledge responded to a report of a domestic assault at a home in the Seaplane Base Dec. 26, 2008.

The 25-year-old woman, who was sobbing and very upset, said that Turner became enraged when he read her journal and discovered that she had a boyfriend, the report states.

The woman claimed Turner backed her against a wall and said he was going to kill her after he kills her boyfriend, the officer wrote. Turner drove off and deactivated his wife’s phone, but she sent a message over the computer to a friend who called the police.

Turner, however, denied that he ever threatened to kill his wife or the other man.

The woman said Turner had been unfaithful to her and had physically assaulted her during their entire marriage, the report states. She had a bruise on her leg from an assault their 6-year-old daughter witnessed, Rutledge wrote.

The woman said Turner had threatened to take their child if she ever called the police, according to the report.

The woman and the daughter went to stay with a friend. The next day, the alleged victim reported that Turner had violated a military protection order by driving by the home she was staying at several times, the officer wrote. She also got a message from Sprint that he had activated the GPS system on her cell phone, allegedly in an attempt to track her down, the report states.

In addition, Turner called her phone seven times and sent her five text messages that morning, Rutledge reported.

But Turner told the officer that it was purely accidental that he had driven by the house where his wife was staying. He admitted turning on the GPS, but said he turned it off again.

According to the report, Turner admitted that he had called his wife and that it was in violation of a no-contact order, but he said he wanted to talk to her and her daughter.

If convicted of the charges, Turner could face up to a year in jail under the standard sentencing range.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates