‘Dangerous’ sex offender wants to live in Oak Harbor

Brogi - file photo
— image credit: file photo

The first person from Island County to be civilly committed under Washington state’s 25-year-old Sexually Violent Predator Act wants to be released to live in a home near Naval Air Station Whidbey Island.

Curtis Brogi has been housed at the Special Commitment Center on McNeil Island since a jury in 2000 found that he suffers from a mental abnormality or personality disorder that makes him likely to engage in sexual predatory acts.

The assistant attorney general who handled the original trial described Brogi as one of the most dangerous men he’d ever come across.

A new jury trial, which is expected to run two weeks, will determine if Brogi should be released to a “less-restrictive alternative” to the Special Commitment Center. The trial was recently scheduled for June.

Brogi is proposing to live with his father, a former Oak Harbor jailer, on Tidewater Road in Oak Harbor and to obtain sex offender and substance abuse treatment locally.

He would be under the supervision of the Department of Corrections.

The King County Department of Public Defense, which represents Brogi, argued in court papers that Brogi should be granted release to a less-restrictive alternative because the state has failed to show that he meets the criteria for commitment or that the community cannot be adequately protected with conditions on his release.

“In the past 14 years at SCC (Special Commitment Center), Mr. Brogi helped create a Native American Healing Program … worked through culturally sensitive treatment programs for his anger, addiction, and sex offenses, and has attended college and is on the verge of receiving his bachelor’s degree with specializations in addictions and traumas,” according to the King County Department of Public Defense.

The state Attorney General’s Office opposes Brogi release and will argue against it in court.

The case has been in and out of appeals courts for years, but the trial is not a result of a higher court ruling. Joshua Studor, an assistant attorney general, explained that a person committed as a sexually violent predator has one additional opportunity to argue before a jury for release to a less-restrictive alternative.

Under law, the Special Commitment Center has to reevaluate Brogi annually.

In the most recent report, Rob Saari, a licensed psychologist at the center, argued against Brogi’s release.

Saari diagnosed Brogi with sexual sadism, major depression and antisocial personality disorders. Brogi has had “relatively poor participation in treatment” over the years, Saari wrote.

“Mr. Brogi has shown little remorse for his sexually assaultive behavior,” Saari wrote. “He mostly denies that he forced sex on any of his victims and maintains that his victims simply lied about his offenses.”

Saari’s report outlines a long list of allegations against Brogi, though he was only convicted of one sex crime — second-degree assault with sexual motivation.

“During the late 1980s to mid-1990s, Curtis Brogi, the appellant, committed numerous acts of sadistic sexual violence against young girls and women,” the Attorney General’s Office brief states. “While in the community, Brogi raped women until they vomited, forced anal sex upon them, slapped them, and threatened to kill them.”

Saari briefly described how Brogi allegedly sexually victimized eight girls and women; most of the alleged assaults occurred on North Whidbey.

The allegations described in Saari’s report include the following:

In 1986, Brogi and a roommate allegedly raped a 15-year-old girl multiple times, slapping her during the assaults. That same year, he allegedly raped a 16-year-old girl at knifepoint in the woods, pulled her hair and slapped her.

In 1988, Brogi allegedly tricked a 17-year-old girl into his van, where he slapped her and forced anal and oral sex on her. He made her “bark like a dog” during the assaults and threatened to kill her and her boyfriend if she reported him.

In 1990, Brogi was arrested after accusing his fiancee of infidelity and pointed a gun at a friend. He was released from jail at 4:30 a.m., then returned and allegedly raped and sodomized his fiancee. He pleaded guilty to brandishing a weapon.

In 1993, he allegedly raped a 15-year-old girl at knifepoint.

In 1995, he met a woman in a campground, claimed to be in the logging industry and lured her down a logging road. He allegedly threatened her with a dart gun, forced her to take off her clothes, took photos of her and raped her. The woman’s injuries were consistent with rape and she suffered a perforated ear drum, bruises and a swollen face. He claimed the sex was consensual and pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with a deadly weapon; he was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

In 1996, he was accused of vaginally and anally assaulting a 4-year-old girl with a knife.

Also in 1996, he lured a woman to his home under the pretext that he had a job for her. He pointed a gun at her, made her undress, told her there was a contract out on her life, strapped her to his bed and fondled her. He was convicted of assault in the second degree with sexual motivation and was sentenced to 15 months in prison.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates