Cats lost, birds saved in Heller Road trailer fire
By JESSIE STENSLAND
Whidbey News Times Assistant editor
September 12, 2008 · Updated 4:19 PM
A mobile home fire killed two cats early Friday morning, but the resident managed to save her pet birds.
Chief Marv Koorn with North Whidbey Fire and Rescue said a woman living in a single-wide in Wagon Wheel mobile home park accidentally started the fire in the kitchen just before 12:30 a.m.
“She was going to do some cooking, but she put the pan on the stove and left it,” he said.
Fortunately, the woman noticed the stovetop ablaze. The flames were shooting up to the ceiling, Koorn said, so she grabbed her birds and went to a neighbor’s home.
Koorn said firefighters were able to respond and put the fire out quickly, but the older structure and most of the contents were completely destroyed by a combination of fire, smoke and heat. He said it’s hard to estimate the loss of older single-wides, but he guesses it’s around $30,000.
“These older mobiles are quick burners,” Koorn said. “It doesn’t take much for them to go.”
No people were injured in the blaze, but Koorn said a couple of cats were caught inside and died.Contact Whidbey News Times Assistant editor Jessie Stensland at email@example.com or 360.675.6611 ext. 5056.