- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Grease fire destroys Oak Harbor home
A grease fire destroyed a mobile home on Spitfire Lane in Oak Harbor Friday afternoon. No one was injured.
The blaze, which damaged the doublewide home, was apparently caused when grease used for deep frying caught fire and spread.
All occupants were home at the time of the fire, which apparently started when the wife left the stove to track down her son, who had wandered out of her view, according Mike Brown, deputy fire chief with North Whidbey Fire and Rescue.
Brown said the woman’s husband was outside at the time the fire started, and when his wife exited the house with her son, he entered the building to get their two cats outside.
Brown said the fire “took off quickly,” and the house was “pretty much a total loss, except for the back two bedrooms.”
The family called the fire department around 1:55 p.m. Friday, and fire responders arrived on the scene at about 2:04 p.m., according to Brown.
Brown estimates the fire caused about about $60,000 worth of damage to the residence and resulted in the loss of contents valued at up to $20,000
“They’re not going be able to fix that, they’re going to tear it down,” Brown said Tuesday.
Three engines and a water tender were brought to the scene to battle the blaze.
In addition to North Whidbey Fire and Rescue, responders from the Navy Region Northwest Federal Firefighters arrived at the scene.
The federal firefighters, who brought a ladder truck and water tender, are assigned to Whidbey Island Naval Air Station.
Brown said the Red Cross also responded and helped the family to find housing for the weekend while they deal with their insurance company.
“We’d just like to advise people that, whenever they’re deep frying in a house, they have to be really focused on that,” Brown said.
“Things can get away from them very quickly if they lose sight of that cooking process.”