Chimney fire contained on North Whidbey

There were no injuries in a fire Saturday night on the 3000 block of Taylor Road.

Three fire engines responded to the fire at around 9:40 p.m.

“This was pretty much contained to a chimney,” said Deputy Fire Chief Mike Brown.

He said the fire spread to the wood box containing the flue pipe of the chimney.

“It probably did about $4,000 worth of damage to that wood box and to the chimney itself,” Brown said. “It was about a $400,000 house, and we contained it to just that wood box.”

Beyond that, there was no real damage.

The fire was under control within 20 minutes of the arrival of the 15 North Whidbey Fire and Rescue responders, according to Brown. Responders remained at the scene for about three hours to clear out the area.

Brown said the fire was caused by the owners not regularly cleaning their chimney.

“Everybody should be cleaning their chimneys on a regular basis,” Brown said.

Regular inspections and cleaning of chimneys can help prevent fires from happening, according to Brown.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 22
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates