Accused tattooer pleads to lesser offense | Corrected

Ashley Firth appears in Island County Superior Court March 24. - Jesse Stensland/Whidbey News-Times
Ashley Firth appears in Island County Superior Court March 24.
— image credit: Jesse Stensland/Whidbey News-Times

A woman accused of tattooing a man by force and her alleged partner in crime were recently sentenced to jail, according to the Island County Prosecutor’s Office.

Neither, however, was convicted of the alleged ink-related incident.

Ashley E. Firth, 23, was smiling in court last week as she pleaded guilty to assault in the fourth degree and violation of a court order, a domestic violence crime.

The assault charge was for slapping Matthew Reimer, the man who accused her of tattooing him by force.

The court order violation was related to a woman who was present during the incident; a judge had ordered Firth not to have contact with her.

Judge Alan Hancock agreed with the sentence recommendation presented by the prosecution and defense; he sentenced Firth to 60 days in jail and ordered her to pay $1,217 in fines and fees.

Richard Borgeson, the other person charged in the incident, pleaded guilty to assault in the fourth degree and was sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Both Firth and Borgeson were originally charged with much more serious crimes, but they pleaded to the lesser counts as part of a plea bargain, Deputy Prosecutor David Carman said.

Carman said he didn’t have the evidence to convict them of the felony charges. The problem, he said, is there were no “disinterested witnesses” to the crimes.

According to a report from the Oak Harbor police, Firth goes by the street name “Dibo.” She allegedly tattooed the words “punkbitch-dibo” on the victim’s shoulder.

Reimer claimed that Firth and Borgeson were mad at him for borrowing a car for longer than they wanted him to. The incident occurred at a trailer home on Crosby Avenue Jan. 11.

Reimer said he found himself surrounded by four angry people, including Firth and Borgeson.

Firth allegedly demanded that Reimer empty his pockets. Borgeson allegedly took his cell phone and a credit card from his wallet, according to the police report.

Firth and Burgeson allegedly forced him to get on his knees and apologize for keeping the vehicle so long. While Reimer was on his knees, they decided to tattoo him.

Firth allegedly bent over to look him in the eyes and dropped a handgun. Reimer said he believed that she did it on purpose to threaten him, the report states.

Firth asked him to pick a spot for the tattoo and he chose his left shoulder. She tattooed the words on him with black ink.

Reimer told the Whidbey News-Times that he allowed Firth, an amateur tattoo artist, to write the words on him because he felt threatened by her and the three other people in the home.

Afterward, Firth slapped him and told him he could either help rob someone or get “socked up,” which means to get “assaulted very bad,” the report states.

Reimer said he has since gotten the tattoo removed.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates