- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Firefighters quell brush fire
A small brush fire nearly burst out of control on Grassers Hill Friday, but crews were able to douse the flames before gusty winds blew them up the hill.
Central Whidbey Fire and Rescue extinguished the 100-square-foot fire quickly and spent some time mopping up. Captain Matt VanGiesen said that he was not sure of the cause.
The fire looked to originate approximately a third of the way up the hill. Despite the distance from the roadway, VanGiesen said that it could have been an errant cigarette that ignited the flames.
The way the wind is blowing, it could have picked up a cigarette and carried it up there, he said.
Brush fires on the hill, which is within sight of the San de Fuca firehouse, are a fairly common occurrence. Approximately two years ago, a fire scorched the entire hillside.
This is a typical thing for the time of year, VanGiesen said. Luckily, we didnt let it get up the hill.