- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Two more threats at elementary school
Hillcrest Elementary School was searched twice this week after two separate bomb threats were discovered in bathrooms.
School officials discovered the first bomb threat early Tuesday afternoon.
Joe Hunt, communications director for the Oak Harbor School District, said five police officers and seven firefighters searched the school while most of the children enjoyed recess.
He said the threat discovered early Tuesday afternoon was vague.
The message was such that it wasnt considered a real strong threat, Hunt said.
On Wednesday morning, a custodian discovered a threat written on a bathroom wall shortly after school began at 9 a.m., said Principal Laura Aesoph.
The Wednesday morning threat was similar to one discovered last week.
She said officials were able to identify the student who wrote Wednesdays threat and that student was removed from class. Aesoph wouldnt comment further on student discipline.
Police still searched the school Wednesday.
Hunt said a student was removed from class last week for making a previous threat at Hillcrest.
Those two students are the only ones who have been tied to bomb threats found at Hillcrest. Six threats have been discovered at Hillcrest since mid-February.
The first threat occurred when a bomb threat discovered at Oak Harbor High School included Hillcrest Elementary School
To better monitor movements of students, they have to sign in and out when leaving a room during class. That should help track down students who made the most recent threat, Hunt said.
Until this thing gets under control, they will continue to do that, Hunt said.
Aesoph said custodians are also making frequent restroom checks and are looking for new threats.
Its too bad because 99 percent of the kids are doing a good job, Aesoph said.
Since three students were suspended at Oak Harbor High School several weeks ago, no bomb threats have been discovered there.