Insurance help offered to wind victims

"The state's insurance commissioner says there are plenty of resources available to Island County homeowners who suffered damage during recent wind and rain storms.Insurance Commissioner Deborah Senn announced this week that homeowners should call her office if they are unsure about coverage or feel they are not being properly served by their insurance company. She noted that wind damage is generally covered by homeowner policies but water damage and flooding may not be.The commissioner's office has set up a toll-free consumer hot line at 1-800-562-6900 to handle questions, unusual problems or complaints. Homeowners can also request fact sheets on flood insurance and other insurance-related information by calling the same number or by visiting the office's Web site at speaking, Senn said a homeowner's first call should be to his or her insurance agent. The agent can decide whether a claim form needs to be filled out prior to having an adjuster visit the home.Water damage done by rain that enters a home because of wind damage to windows, walls or roof will be covered by most policies. Flood damage, however, is covered by special flood insurance policies issued through a federal program. For more information on the National Flood Insurance Program call 1-800-611-6123. "

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates